Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 70 Hatteras Sinks

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    how does a "Pro Captain" allow that to happen?
    I'm not a pro captain.
    Yes, I have run out of fuel before when both motors died.

Thoughts to avoid it again;
    My first task in prepping a boat for delivery, I try to split the tanks / engines if I can.
    I'm also there when taking on fuel.
    I never believe a word of how much fuel is onboard, even if the owner states it.
    On longer trips, and I do not know the boat, all tanks are full when I get under way.
    I plan on 1/3 onboard fuel reserve; for errors and those Murphy Moments.
    My customers understand these thoughts. I have had other issues in 35 years sense, but not running out of fuel.

I have assisted other boats that have suddenly stopped running from fuel problems. Owners and captains without a clue how to clear filters and/or re-prime the engines from the other tank(s).
    Hence my comment in post #9.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 12-11-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    So this line of discussion begs the question how low do people allow their tanks to get? I personally keep a fuel log but once the gauges at the helm or sight gauges get below a half I start getting nervous.
    It depends

Most Hatteras have keel tanks (at least the MYs) so it’s easy to calibrate a stick and know exactly what you have. Also, on the most MY the forward tank pick up are in the back of the tank and the aft tank pick ups are forward. If you are low and get off plane, fuel will slosh forward. The engine running on the forward tank may shut down the but the engine running on the aft tank will be fine. This is why with two tanks, you don’t run both off the same tank!!!

So to the answer the question, since I know my boat very well after almost 20 years, I may run with as low as 30 gallon in a tank. In calm waters. Offshore, no way I d go under 50/60 gallons

Now if I was running a boat with neither a stick or sight gauges, I wouldn’t go below 1/4 tank. And that s only if I knew the boat was full when I got on.

I don’t care how high tech fue gauges are, nothing beats a stick or sight tubes.

Yesterday I refueled the “office” for the first time. Seller was nice enough to sell the boat with 3/4 tanks back in May... . The expensive headhunter gauge showed 1350 gallons in the main tank. My fuel log showed 1875. I put 1100 gal and tank is almost full. About an inch from the top. As mentioned before I use a spreadsheet on my phone which calculates fuel burn, fuel left etc incl generator. Far better than fancy gauges
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Found it,
    Here's some pics being hauled out.
    I have no addition information for now.
    Attached Images

a couple of extras
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjtoma View Post
    Found it,
    Here's some pics being hauled out.
    I have no addition information for now.
    2nd pic- my goodness that boat has some heft under the waterline. Impressive

Aside from weight and balance issues, the ONLY time you can have too much fuel onboard is if you're on fire!

Found this on FB

- - - BOAT'S NAME IS "JUDE SEA" - - - was based at Catawba Island Club

Middle Bass Island
    September 14 ·
    Three photos of the Jude Sea today. Based on the photos from a few days ago,
    she has moved away from the rocks far enough to sink another 6-8 feet compared
    to the last set of photos posted here. Apparently there was also quite a fuel spill,
    based on drone photos I have seen.
    The strong winds tonight won't help/
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jjtoma; 12-13-2021 at 08:08 PM.

From FB:
    September 16
    ·
    The end of the refloating/salvage of the Jude Sea. She was towed out to be attached to a barge
    for hauling. The barge had first stopped at the Middle Bass Island main dock to load the trucks,
    pumps and hoses that were used and to have them handy in case they were needed during the tow.
    After the Jude Sea was attached to the barge, the barge returned to the Schneider dock to load
    more pumps, airbags and other equipment. Then it seemed to take a lunch break before departing.
    The tug here is the Pioneerland.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjtoma View Post
    From FB:
    September 16
    ·
    The end of the refloating/salvage of the Jude Sea. She was towed out to be attached to a barge
    for hauling. The barge had first stopped at the Middle Bass Island main dock to load the trucks,
    pumps and hoses that were used and to have them handy in case they were needed during the tow.
    After the Jude Sea was attached to the barge, the barge returned to the Schneider dock to load
    more pumps, airbags and other equipment. Then it seemed to take a lunch break before departing.
    The tug here is the Pioneerland.
    that is freshwater, not saltwater? Are the mechanicals really in trouble?

Given the boat sank in fresh water and not including engines, what would be the process to bring her back to operations? There is no particle board in my boat, what about these later boats? Would the electrics/cables all dry out?
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.