Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: 70 Hatteras Sinks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Is that doodoo for brains? Sorry for my ignorance.
    Yes, Stuff for brains..

Could be he came off plane and the pickups went above the level of the fuel. That happened to us. I caught it just in time.
    Regards
    Dan

Evidently a hired professional captain ran the boat on one fuel source until it sucked air . A combination of rock bottom not allowing the anchor to set and wind blew the boat up on the rocks…….Pat

Cool Re: 70 Hatteras Sinks

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post

The boat was sealed, pumped out and then raised out of the water and towed to a yard in Sandusky where the insurance company supposedly totaled the boat.

Wondering if you know which yards in Sandusky could handle that size boat?

Appears this was a sport deck version.

I zoomed in that photo, noticed water pouring out of the aft portlights!
    Last edited by jjtoma; 12-11-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    Evidently a hired professional captain ran the boat on one fuel source until it sucked air . A combination of rock bottom not allowing the anchor to set and wind blew the boat up on the rocks…….Pat
    With low fuel in the aft tank our 43MY sat with the transom high. I wonder if this model does the same thing and if the remaining fuel washed forward and away from the pickups.
    Regards
    Dan

So this line of discussion begs the question how low do people allow their tanks to get? I personally keep a fuel log but once the gauges at the helm or sight gauges get below a half I start getting nervous.
    Last edited by Sadey; 12-10-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Lightbulb 70 Hatteras Sinks

Quote Originally Posted by jjtoma View Post
    I know Craft Marine could handle it.

Maybe one of the Hoty Marine places too, like Crossview or SonRise.

I don't remember where they took it.
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

So this line of discussion begs the question how low do people allow their tanks to get?
    You mean on purpose?

I've been burned ONE time by A, trusting a seller who told me how much fuel was in the boat, B, trusting a gauge in a new to me boat. Never again.

It would be interesting to know how much fuel was in the tanks he wasn't pulling from. Could have just been a case of lazy or a brain fart.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by jjtoma View Post

Appears this was a sport deck version.
    If you find it, let us know what the price is after you buy it (Just assuming that's why you would be looking)
    I bet that would be a deal with an easy (well maybe....) fix!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

So this line of discussion begs the question how low do people allow their tanks to get? I personally keep a fuel log but once the gauges at the helm or sight gauges get below a half I start getting nervous.
    I once (never again) ran out of fuel a mile from the fuel docks. I won't go into the reason I bypassed an earlier Fuel Dock. Also, learned bad install of new fuel line was pumping fuel into a bunker, under one engine, so probably had enough fuel leaked off, to get me to the dock. But I still should have taken on fuel, aka cut it too close!.

I have 400gal capacity, so 20% reserve is 80 gals. I doubt I will ever get into the reserve, at least not much. Not after running out. Thankfully was a calm day, so rode at anchor, until tow boat came.

So if "out of fuel" was the issue, esp. if not drawing from multiple tanks, how does a "Pro Captain" allow that to happen? Also, how much time did that captain, if there was one, have with style of boat?

Raises many questions, esp. since would love to have a 75' Hatt!
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 12-11-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...