Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommended Bilge Mounting location.

I plan to change my engine bilges pumps and switches very soon I have several best practices questions? I will pull everything out and do a good cleaning and then put all new equipment in. I currently have Rule 2500's on standard float switches with no high water alarms. I was thinking new pumps and Ultra Senior switches and their High water alarms. I have a set of new Ultra Senior's on the boat with their high water alarm boxes.

1. Which pump do you recommend for a 52C?

2. The Old unused screws in bilge should be removed and sealed with?

3. Current Rule 2500's are held down with screws to the bilge floor, is that how you would reinstall or install where? Ultras attach to the pump with a clamp.

4. Replace ribbed bilge house with?

5. Scrap all my plans and install something else?

Thanks,
    Attached Images
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Recommended Bilge Mounting location.

Cabin fever, uh?
    Just got to do something? Anything?

If the hose is old and you can reach the far end, replace it with Shields Series 148 Vinyl Hose.
    New aba clamps.

Clean up the bilges and reassemble.

Then, if you still want to tinker in some bilges, come over to my boat and do it again.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-11-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Ultra switches are my go to. If I ever do away with my rule 2000's I would probably go to some type of remote mounted pump that would help keep the bilges drier. I think there was a recent post on here about those kinds of set ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Cabin fever, uh?Just got to do something? Anything?If the hose is old and you can reach the far end, replace it with Shields Series 148 Vinyl Hose.New aba clamps.Clean up the bilges and reassemble.Then, if you still want to tinker in some bilges, come over to my boat and do it again.
    Thanks, I got plenty to do. This is on my list so I can at least get my high water alarms back working. I always available to help. Tool gopher anytime. If anyone wants to come to Nashville, I could ask questions to someone for a couple of days.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I’ll be in Nashville end of October to visit my kids. I would love to watch someone else work on a Hatteras for a change. Reminds me, what is the one thing that always works on a boat? The owner. I just purchased 2 Seaflow systems that I plan to add one additional sponge for each system for a truly dry bilge. I’ll let you know how it goes.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

There is a high water alarm. Or at least there is on my boat. As I found out when somebody accidentally turned off the wrong breaker for the port ER bilge pump and the boat had water high enough that it was running around in the hallway. I have since repacked the stuffing box. Anyway, the hatteras alarm panel started going off. I am not entirely sure where the float switch for it is, but there is a high water alarm somewhere around midship. I always hated fake wood floors, until that incident.

My HW floats are located in close proximity to the 4 large Rule pumps.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    My HW floats are located in close proximity to the 4 large Rule pumps.
    I found what was left of high water alarm system in my boat while replacing the bilge pump in the starboard engine room/shaft alley, and also in the generator room under the wood platform over the bilges. I found an inexpensive alarm panel on Amazon (my 54' does not have an alarm panel) but have been too busy to install it on a trial basis before adding more.

Pactrade Marine Boat Bilge Alarm Pump Switch Aluminum Plate, LED Indicators
    by Pactrade Marine
    Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00S00LP...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Until then I am using the Mk 1 I-ball ocular lens system to check my bilges daily. I found that my generator room and starboard engine room inline bilge hose check valves have given up, so I have those on order and will be replacing them ASAP. Hoses appear to be in good shape, so I am hoping replacing the check valves will be less stressful than my weekend AC outage.

Once I install the high water alarm I will post my opinion...
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

[QUOTE=Sadey;401280]I’ll be in Nashville end of October to visit my kids. I would love to watch someone else work on a Hatteras for a change. Reminds me, what is the one thing that always works on a boat? The owner. I just purchased 2 Seaflow systems that I plan to add one additional sponge for each system for a truly dry bilge. I’ll let you know how it goes.[/QUOTELete know if you have any free time while in town?

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    I found what was left of high water alarm system in my boat while replacing the bilge pump in the starboard engine room/shaft alley, and also in the generator room under the wood platform over the bilges. I found an inexpensive alarm panel on Amazon (my 54' does not have an alarm panel) but have been too busy to install it on a trial basis before adding more.

Pactrade Marine Boat Bilge Alarm Pump Switch Aluminum Plate, LED Indicators
    by Pactrade Marine
    Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00S00LP...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Until then I am using the Mk 1 I-ball ocular lens system to check my bilges daily. I found that my generator room and starboard engine room inline bilge hose check valves have given up, so I have those on order and will be replacing them ASAP. Hoses appear to be in good shape, so I am hoping replacing the check valves will be less stressful than my weekend AC outage.

Once I install the high water alarm I will post my opinion...
    You don’t have that Hatteras control panel thing with the alarm and all the different lights for various things? I thought they all came with that ?