Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

Need to find that video Pascal posted of the Tolly rolling on its beam ends after getting waked by a 12’ Jon boat.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    So you have cold slawl?
    You betcha! You can hang meat in that sucker!
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Need to find that video Pascal posted of the Tolly rolling on its beam ends after getting waked by a 12’ Jon boat.
    Yeah, that would be entertaining, but you seem to be dodging my questions like one of "those" people. Surely the guy in that 12' jon boat realizes he's responsible for his own wake, but I really want to see you at least attempt to back up your claim of chopper guns and shoddy workmanship.

Oh yeah, on the Tolly, not the other boats that have come up. I know my land yacht is built like a Freightliner because it is one.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Wow.... the only video I can think of is this one. 11 years ago so poor quality by today’s standard.

Two obnoxious sportfishes... a little bigger than a 12’ job boat. More like a 120’ of SF wake

https://www.facebook.com/pascal.gade...616699584692/?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Wow.... the only video I can think of is this one. 11 years ago so poor quality by today’s standard.

Two obnoxious sportfishes... a little bigger than a 12’ job boat. More like a 120’ of SF wake

That's just plain wrong on many levels. I would NEVER pass anyone like that, but if some a$$hole wants to do it to me, I'll be better prepared than that guy was... provided I can see them coming.

I've had idiots come up behind me in a blind pilothouse when I wasn't watching my radar and have them roll me pretty good. I do my best to make them famous and give them a good cussing on the VHF. They never reply.

Oh yeah, that's not a Tolly. Just saying.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

See Someone looks at your posts
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Go big or go home... 600 HP @ 1200 rpm Werkspoor single with 5000 gallons of fuel. Swedish built for ocean service. 2nd owner brought it to Manitowoc to make a N.W. passage trip and kacked a few years ago. Now its for sale through his estate probably for back storage.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...31414727000853

242767220_10225852715966078_8134704255229194026_n.jpg
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Go big or go home... 600 HP @ 1200 rpm Werkspoor single with 5000 gallons of fuel. Swedish built for ocean service. 2nd owner brought it to Manitowoc to make a N.W. passage trip and kacked a few years ago. Now its for sale through his estate probably for back storage.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...31414727000853

Attachment 53282
    But but but... it's fugly, Willie. I'd look at it but Farcebook seems to be MIA this afternoon.

Not sure why I didn't see a notification thingy but just now saw your post. Hope all is well with you and this COVID mess as I know it is NO fun at all.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

been lurking here for yrs, finally signed up- brought a 1985 72' Hatt MY that was stretched to 80' from Florida to Vancouver when I was a skipper, spent 18 months gutting it and rebuilding her for my ex boss, learned a lot about Hatteras construction and ethos at that time, including pulling a 30KW Northern Lights up the curved stairway from the crews to the PH and out the wing door...

Im out of the boat driving game now but have spent a lot of time on Tollycraft boats, including running a 1984 48' Tolly from Vancouver to Cabo last November... First leg was to SFO non stop, boat did great, superb hull form, pure semi displacement with a round chine and deep keel, vestigial chines forward to knock down a bit of spray. Boat was all hand laid and very robustly constructed overall with a few areas that could be improved upon but nothing serious. Great running boat with a very sharp, deep forefoot that eats the chop, she's a bit wet despite the generous flare because that sharp bow has less buoyancy I guess.

The 61-65 Tolly is another one I've run a bunch. Superb pilothouse for one, great vis, super good looking boat and a sweet handler around the docks, particularly with the 735 8V92TA. 32" props big rudders and a deep keel. Honestly if you can't handle a 61-65 Tolly, I suggest you give up boating.. They are all hand laid with very good gelcoat and belt and braces boat building. up forward under the VIP there are 4 large full length hull stringers that are 2.5 feet tall and heavily glassed without wood. So they are robust handsome boats. Very efficient hull runs 10.5 knots at 1000 rpm and fuel burn is damn near 1 gallon per mile without gens. Hard to believe but seems to bear out after 10 years of cruising and filling. You give up the full height engine room for the low profile and centre of gravity, and honestly getting around to the outside of the 8V92s is a pain, the later 65s with the 3408E Cats are even worse. the 1991 61 I run is heavy about 74000 lbs, the original 1983 hulls with the 671TIs were designed to the 65000lb number. our '91 does a knot for every 100 rpm and can touch 24 at 2350 when we had the Detroit techs aboard setting the full load. 1800 gives 17.5 knots. All day long. before you call BS on me I have a ton of vides up on YT - channel is 'Boattguy'

the 65 looks better as the 61 is a bit stubby. The hull is an Ed Monk affair and the mold was shared with Nordlund. For the 65 they didn't just hang a bucket on the back, they moved the running gear to the transom and shifted the mains aft a bit. Later 65s, like after 1993 till Tolly died in 1997 were built to ABS standards with an inspector present. These are great boats with enhanced watertight integrity, a crash bulkhead, numerous process upgrades in construction like dual ram steering, the 4 stroke cats or MTU- (I'm a 2 stroke fan) etc, etc. You can recognize these later ones as they have 2 rectangular clearing ports on the hull side in the cockpit to satisfy ABS for deck drainage. Also the HR hull side air vents were moved to the inside of the bulwarks. 3 inch shafts and rudderposts too.

Full disclosure, I enjoyed my Hatteras days, loved the 840hp S&S 12V71s. Didn't like it so much when the naiads crapped out though, she liked to roll! My favourite would be a nice 58 YF- maybe im strange. Ill try to attach some photos first a 65 (ignore the ridiculous tv dome!)second a 61 at 19 knots - all best!DSC00840.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by exskipper; 02-19-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Like ^^^
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93