Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

Come to FLIBS I’ll pick them apart then you can beat up the broker on price.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I have no personal experience with Tollys but I always kind of laugh when I hear people saying Hatteras have bottom that thick, showing like an inch with their fingers.

When we puller the old Vospers and installed the new Tracs a pulled of years ago, I got a good look at the hull laminate. Yes it is strong and thick and solid glass but it’s not very thick.

With the new stabs being much larger I added about 3/8” of additional glass outside the stringers over the length of the ERs and coming up a couple of inches up the hull side and stringer

A lot of the weight comes from the interior with many areas made of 1” thick plywood...
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I grew up 30 minutes from the Tolly factory. In no way were these poorly made. Designed for NW waters, which can be absolutely awful. Google Columbia River bar or Straits for enjoyment. "Tolly" as he was known took great pride in their work. Starting out with wood, they switched over to fiber just about the same time as everyone else. I was lucky enough to see him in Olympia back when they had the boat festival and other activities. Pretty sure he lived to 100.
    Anyway, if you had to pick two top mfgs out of the West Coast, Uniflite and Tollycraft will always be my list. Fantastic boats BUT like other mfgs, they had some troubles along the way. Google Uniflite blistering for great reads.
    Try to find one before the late 80s. Yes, the interior will be less refined but I'd argue a better quality boat. Tolly sold in '87 or so and then came back to save from ruin. The owners were stripping any chance of continued success. Greed and too many investors can do that. By '96 it was all over.
    I have ridden aboard the 26, 30, 37, 48 CPMY, and a 61'. Been on many others. The only one I noticed any real issues was the 37. Fuel tanks prone to leaks. We all smelled like gas after that ride. But again, not necessarily a structural defect.
    We were once caught in massive swells out on the bar in Grays Harbor. That old boat never missed a beat. Just shook it off and kept moving.
    The 61' is basically the 65' minus cockpit extension. I LOVE THAT BOAT. Fantastic engine room access and excellent visibility from just about everywhere. These were planing hulls. A few of the last 65' could cruise at 20.
    The 57', from what I learned, had planing issues. Something about the hull design. Ass squat. Still a great layout with sexy lines.
    The last 65' i was on in 2015 had soft core around deck fittings. Typical stuff found on any old boat. They wanted 459k. Resale value has always been solid.
    To summarize, not poor quality at all. Yes, they stuffed gassers in many models too big and heavy. Some designs were ugly. The 61 and 65 were amazing. A few had odd powerplants. Felt like ships though. Can't go wrong. Makes me nostalgic for the old days of salty builders and awesome stories.

IDK I’ll take a boat built by Carolina rednecks over PNW hipsters and hippies. Just saying
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Just watched the video on the 65LRC. Very nice overall but needs a few things. Anybody have any idea as to how things work with a purchase out of the country like that? Insurance etc?

I would bring her home on her own bottom, but I would definitely need another Captain or maybe two more. I would definitely need someone who speaks French. Hey Pascal, wanna make HOF history with me?

Seriously, anyone familiar with the route it would take to get this thing back to the US? I would have no time constraints and would want to run the coast as much as possible, for obvious reasons. Just wondering what I would get into, but that would no doubt be perfect for my particular plans.
    Interesting story with several routes..

Hatteras GT63 Post One Crosses the Atlantic (2019) - Repurposed Video
    https://youtu.be/UBTKSvJrqWI
    Ty Lewis
    In Decent Seas
    1970 Chris Craft Commander 55
    HIN: FAA-55-0001 DD 8V-71 NA
    Kent Island, MD

6. Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    IDK I’ll take a boat built by Carolina rednecks over PNW hipsters and hippies. Just saying
    As the proud owner of a "PNW - built by hippies" boat, I'm less concerned with who built my boat, but rather how they built it.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

Isn’t a houseboat really the first RPH anyway?

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Soft core around deck fittings sounds like a design problem, not a "normal deficiency". Hatteras didn't put deck fittings where there was coring. They all reside on the gunnel where there is no coring.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Soft core around deck fittings sounds like a design problem, not a "normal deficiency". Hatteras didn't put deck fittings where there was coring. They all reside on the gunnel where there is no coring.
    We just replaced flybridge coring due to water intrusion. Our water and waste are in the cored walk-around. 48' HattThey must have figured this out before yours was built.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Isn’t a houseboat really the first RPH anyway?
    Now you're just being silly... er.

Definitely hoping to make FLIBS, but it will surprise me if there are any Tolly's there. That 61 from several years ago is the only one I've ever seen at the show.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93