Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

i see a couple of red flags on the last lrc that you posted.
    tools in a lot of photos
    bright work seems neglected
    pics were taken at different times. bimini up in one and missing in another
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Tolls were always junk when I was a kid we used to joke about them. Chopper gun worst coast boats
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i see a couple of red flags on the last lrc that you posted.
    tools in a lot of photos
    bright work seems neglected
    pics were taken at different times. bimini up in one and missing in another
    It's a mess in those photos. It amazes me that people won't take a little time to clean the crap out of their boat before they take photos. The broker gave me the good, the bad and the ugly on this one, but it seemed to be primarily cosmetic. He commented that he was surprised it hadn't sold. I did send him an email telling him I was no longer interested. As you know, I just spent $200K+ on a new land yacht yesterday (too good to pass up and will make me money), so I'll have to put the boat purchase on hold until I catch up a bit or sell my commercial property. That would give me cash to buy the boat in France, should it come to that.

Speaking of that, the broker did get back to me with some information, but I still have a lot to learn before I can tell if this is even an option. They did tell me the boat could be shipped to Port Everglades for $45K. That was interesting, but as I told them, it's a LRC, and I would bring it back on its own bottom. I need to educate myself on routes, but I would subsidize the trip back with guests who would cover my fuel etc. I have plenty of friends who would jump at the chance to take that trip. I think Pascal is my only friend who speaks French, but I doubt that would be mandatory. Visa takes me anywhere I need to be, and everybody speaks cash.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Tolls were always junk when I was a kid we used to joke about them. Chopper gun worst coast boats
    That's the second time you have made that comment and shown that houseboat photo to me. Not trying to question you, but do you have anything in print (from someone authoritative) to back up this chopper gun claim where the larger boats are concerned?

They will most definitely outperform a Hatt, but that obviously is due to lower weight. Hatteras overbuilt their boats, especially the early ones, so I don't see that as equating to lack of quality or leading to safety issues at sea with the Tolly's I'm considering.

I assume Tollycraft is a lot like Bayliner. They probably built some junk, like most other boat companies, but their big boats were a different story. I wouldn't think twice about owning one of the later Bayliner RPH yachts as they have some nice features. They are very prevalent on the west coast, and they are all over the place in Alaska. I doubt many would risk their lives in a boat they felt was substandard or unsafe, especially in those waters.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Randy , I think the Tolly at FLIBS was a 65 with 3408 Cats . He went to Europe via Greenland and shipped the boat home . I could have bought a 61 Tolly when I bought our 61 Hatteras for the same money. I have agonized over that decision. But I think we made the right choice, especially as we use our boat to primarily to live on . Also the Tolly does not have a stand up engine room.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Randy , I think the Tolly at FLIBS was a 65 with 3408 Cats . He went to Europe via Greenland and shipped the boat home . I could have bought a 61 Tolly when I bought our 61 Hatteras for the same money. I have agonized over that decision. But I think we made the right choice, especially as we use our boat to primarily to live on . Also the Tolly does not have a stand up engine room.
    Definitely a trade off with a RPH where the engine room is concerned, but you have hatches that allow even more access to items that don't have to be serviced that often. My 58TC had the ER beneath the salon floor, and it was even tighter. I have no issues with popping a hatch and having sitting height to check fluids.

It's just a matter of personal taste/preference, but I find the typical RPH to give more more/better living space than is found on a Hatteras. I also like the idea of a full beam master in the middle of the boat. Less rock and roll there than anywhere else.

I don't remember the FLIBS Tolly having 3408's, but it was definitely a 61. He did in fact mention Greenland. Very interesting guy. It was the second I had been on, the first being at the St Pete boat show back in '88 with a broker friend who had moved there from TN. I was moving to Osprey, FL myself and had already had my boat shipped down there. Let's just say I went back home and found a little conspiracy/embezzlement thing going on with my business that I had entrusted someone to manage for me in my absence. It'll be in my book that will be on sale in the lobby in a few months or so.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

That’s a deal for a LRC. Maybe it’s a scam
    It's not a scam, but it needs some love. I just didn't get a warm fuzzy about how things went after I emailed that contract. That plus the fact I am VERY much aware of how much you can drop on a fixer upper and still not have it where you want it. Been there, done that, never again.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

More authoritative than me? I’ve be banging on the sides of hulls and pissing off boat salesmen since I was 10 years old.
    Step back and you can see the houseboat heritage in the lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    That's the second time you have made that comment and shown that houseboat photo to me. Not trying to question you, but do you have anything in print (from someone authoritative) to back up this chopper gun claim where the larger boats are concerned?

They will most definitely outperform a Hatt, but that obviously is due to lower weight. Hatteras overbuilt their boats, especially the early ones, so I don't see that as equating to lack of quality or leading to safety issues at sea with the Tolly's I'm considering.

I assume Tollycraft is a lot like Bayliner. They probably built some junk, like most other boat companies, but their big boats were a different story. I wouldn't think twice about owning one of the later Bayliner RPH yachts as they have some nice features. They are very prevalent on the west coast, and they are all over the place in Alaska. I doubt many would risk their lives in a boat they felt was substandard or unsafe, especially in those waters.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

A broker I know here in MD has sold a few Tollycrafts over the years, and I've been on a couple of them. They did not seem at all like junk boats, to me. Actually, they seemed as well-made as a Hatteras, which is my standard for a well-made boat. I don't know the laminate schedule for Tollycraft boats, but I did not at all get the "sprayed out of a chopper gun" impression when I was on them.

I have not been on a Tollycraft while running. I can't comment on that, but they do have their fans; I think they seem to be durable boats.

More authoritative than me? I’ve be banging on the sides of hulls and pissing off boat salesmen since I was 10 years old.
    Step back and you can see the houseboat heritage in the lines.
    So, you determined at age 10 that Tolly's were junk boats?

I have no problem envisioning you pissing off boat salesmen as they generally don't like 10 year old kids banging on their boats.

Sorry, but when I see that houseboat pic, I see no resemblance to the 57 or 61 that I've been considering. You ever see the Chris Craft houseboat?

When I say, authoritative, I mean actually coming up with something concrete that shows they are chopper gun boats. Maybe I'll Google it and see what I can find. There was nothing that looked/felt cheap with the 61's I was on.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93