Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    How about a Defever or a Grand Alaskan in the 49-60' range? I like the Alaskan 56. I know, they're Taiwan boats, but still might be worth a look.
    Oooh those grand alaskans are niiiice, I went on one at flibs ages ago and it was stunning. Defevers are alright, but the ones I've been on are a lot like a hatt MY. They have a real similar layout, and they all seem to have 3208's or 671's each with turbos, it's too much power to be a real trawler but still so much weight that it's too inefficient to run at speed. Given the choice I'd rather just have a hatt LRC. They have 471 or 671 naturals that burn next to nothing at hull speed. The plus side on the Defevers is a full beam standup engine room with a workbench though. That is kinda nice.

This one looks nice. Weird they have no pics of the master or any of the staterooms, and no ER pics. Asked for some.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...uiser-3858150/

There's one in Charleston, but it's been weird to this point in terms of... pretty much everything associated with driving down to take a look at it. I'll be in Asheville, NC next Tuesday and was planning to drive down after I do my safe man thing, but I'm no longer getting a warm fuzzy about anything to do with the boat or the broker. No offense if you are on here, but I think you can understand my feelings at this point. Photos in my email can't be opened, but then they were. Contract and photo of check was supposed to get me in ahead of another looker, but they didn't. Looker passed as well as everyone else who has looked at the boat, but it sounds like it just needs some minor cosmetics. You can find it if you want.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

You can not compare a deFever to a Hatt or even a Tolly!!!! Not even close.

I looked at a few grand Alaskans a few years ago for a customer. Run Forrest Run!!! There were so many issues that it was a non starter after 5 minutes on board.

Pretty much anything can make it to grand cayman as long as you don’t mind dealing with the Cubans. Question is why? The Bahamas offer much better cruising grounds than cayman...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

I looked at a few grand Alaskans a few years ago for a customer. Run Forrest Run!!! There were so many issues that it was a non starter after 5 minutes on board.

Pretty much anything can make it to grand cayman as long as you don’t mind dealing with the Cubans. Question is why? The Bahamas offer much better cruising grounds than cayman...
    Why do I have to worry about dealing with Cubans?

I actually planned to take the 58 to Grand Cayman before bringing it back to Tennessee, but we all know (at least us old timers) how that went. Even it had plenty of range to leave from Key West and make a straight shot. I haven't checked into what is involved in terms of entering Cayman waters these days, but I assume it's the same as the Bahamas where COVID etc. are concerned. It's still the prettiest water I have ever seen, and I've seen lots of water. Just the most magnificent blue. May not ever want to leave. That was part of a discussion with the then wife too.

Life sure can be funny. I'm living out my dream, and she's stuck in a subdivision with a husband who doesn't even own a boat! Now I just need to find myself a mate who likes to travel! Lots of crazies out there for sure!
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    I've been on both and neither one gave me the wow factor. If I was going as far as you have plans I'd look at a Nordhavn. I've toured a few of those boats and they are absolutely amazing with up to a 5000 mile range. If you decide to buy a boat in Seattle October is the time to bring it down. You won't find smoother seas and coming down California that time of the year is amazing all the way to Cabo San Lucas and beyond.
    I've been on several NerdHavens, and while I respect all they have to offer, they just don't float my boat from an aesthetics standpoint.

That being said, I like the salty, ship-like look of several trawlers I've seen over the years. The Kady's are awesome, but I want to keep things under the $500K range, at least for now. if things go as well with some of my new business ventures as I think they will, I'll be looking for "Sunday Money". My Dale Earnhardt autographed, Hatteras T-shirt (that I bought as the result of a post on this forum 15 years ago and wore to my first FLIBS) will be hanging in a shadow box, front an center. I'll name the boat, "Safe Money", with my company logo to the left of the name.

Hey, if a man is going to dream, he may as well dream big! LOL I'd be a two Hatt owner again, but it would live in Lauderdale with a full time Captain and also be part of the charter fleet. I'd rather hang out with friends on a boat like that vs driving it myself.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

We fished Cozumel several times in the 80’s. Every time coming around the western edge of Cuba we would be approached by Cuban gun boats. Even though we were in international waters they would try to cut us off. It was more intimidation than anything. But Caymans a long way around with a lot of open water to get there. Unless you’re into diving, which is great the wall is a unique experience, the Bahamas has better places to go.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

Quality varied widely in those boats. Some are okay and some have issues. The newer stuff was better.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It a roughly 800nm from Miami to Grand cayman, all open waters, with limited shelter along the way. Cayman is not a great cruising boat destination because of exposure to open water with swells, limited anchorages. It is a beautiful island but best experienced from a nice house with a center console

If you think the Caymans have the most beautiful waters, try the Exumas! Only 220 NM from SoFl, easy day run with shelter along the way and once you get there you have 130nm worth of anchorages, sandbars, beaches etc. 90% of which are protected from swells. nothing like it anywhere in the world.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

How is your French...? Beautiful 65LRC

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...uiser-3614955/
    Last edited by ty1on73; 09-11-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    Ty Lewis
    In Decent Seas
    1970 Chris Craft Commander 55
    HIN: FAA-55-0001 DD 8V-71 NA
    Kent Island, MD

If you consider an The Offshore brand make sure to ask one question, that is has it had the bottom peeled and epoxy coated. If you think Hatteras’s have blisters, you have never seen blisters like an Offshore can have. I surveyed a 48 pilot house that was a great boat but you could not see the actual bottom because there were so many blisters, seller paid for a $10,000 peel and redcoat job. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.