Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

Quote Originally Posted by exskipper View Post
    apologies for the NecroPost but thought id update- we just did a big bottom job on the 61 Tollycraft and were really surprised at her performance on the bay back to the boat shed.... 2600 hour 8V92 TA 735s the Western Canada Detroit dealer added limits to the throttle travel at 1950- she still can pull full load if these are removed. Sadly she is heading to the sales dock soon...I am linking a video of the speed run below as I didn't see anything in the rules prohibiting it... Hope you all enjoy and please let me know what you think. Best wishes!

HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/RVwLYjkh264?si=rih_FSMDn8fUcxpG
    I had no clue those things were that fast. If it does 23.5 knots at 1900 what does it do at 2300?

Quote Originally Posted by exskipper View Post
    dh

Travelift scales were 83-86,000 lbs. She has quite a heavy teak deck aft and on bridge also a big Novurania. We saw 23 knots at slack tide on the video. The water speed is heavily dampened. The big surprise was the increase in speed after the bottom job, much more than anticipated. Used to see about a knot per hundred rpm but now we are seeing 22+ knots at just over 1900 rpm. A solid performer to be sure and and a testament to the efficiency of the Quadralift hull and detroit muscle...
    Well yeah, any boat is always fastest right after the bottom is done. Even my comparatively underpowered 53MY hit 20 knots the last time I had it done, also with fresh engines. A couple weeks later after some barnacles had the chance to grow back, it was back to barely planing at 2000. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding a reliable diver anymore, I just go hull speed and drag the barnacles around until he deems me worthy of showing up. Then I can cruise at 16-17 for a week or two until they grow back.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Well yeah, any boat is always fastest right after the bottom is done. Even my comparatively underpowered 53MY hit 20 knots the last time I had it done, also with fresh engines. A couple weeks later after some barnacles had the chance to grow back, it was back to barely planing at 2000. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding a reliable diver anymore, I just go hull speed and drag the barnacles around until he deems me worthy of showing up. Then I can cruise at 16-17 for a week or two until they grow back.
    have to note that this boat had an enormous rough build up of bottom paint and quite a lot of fouling and she routinely did 100 rpm per knot even in that state. (previous 10 years experience) since she is over 83000 pounds in the video according to the new travelift scales I was really impressed with the improvement but of course I agree it will diminish as the growth builds...

I have been secretly in love with the 61 Tolly since it came out.. Beautiful boat and very well built.
    Pretty fast right out of the box from the factory but this thread stirred many memories and if I was
    young enough to own a boat (I'm racing towards 90), that is probably what I would want but with
    a pair of QSM 11's. I wonder what the performance would be....any ideas....

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I have been secretly in love with the 61 Tolly since it came out.. Beautiful boat and very well built.
    Pretty fast right out of the box from the factory but this thread stirred many memories and if I was
    young enough to own a boat (I'm racing towards 90), that is probably what I would want but with
    a pair of QSM 11's. I wonder what the performance would be....any ideas....

Walt
    Hi Walt- I have no idea as I have never seen a 61 with QSM power but have run a few boats with QSMs in the 535 and 660 HP flavour and been very impressed with the power delivered. We had a Riviera 43 convertible with a pair and 5 blade props and it was a really strong runner...I suspect there might be a height issue in the tolly 61 ER but then the 671 fit and they are pretty tall... This very boat is now for sale too...