Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

Yowza...water skier must be just out of frame to the right!

Thanks Exskipper for info...

DAN

One guy did actually pull a skier with a 61! That photo was taken by a friend of mine as we left the 2014 Tolly rendezvous, 1950 RPM, might have annoyed the odd sailboater... It honestly fails me to think that anyone with an ounce of taste could look at the above pic of the 65 and say its an ugly boat!

the stretched Hatt 72 was the old Kaleidoscope from FL we brought her up in 1999 I think, memory is fading, like my hairline...
    Last edited by exskipper; 02-20-2022 at 01:03 AM.

Can't kill the Hatt. Heavy but. Have added fuel tanks, waste tanks, etc. If it was one to refit, and, if course, wanted to invest, could make interior anything you want. Even put a trundle bed in one.

Quote Originally Posted by exskipper View Post
    been lurking here for yrs, finally signed up- brought a 1985 72' Hatt MY that was stretched to 80' from Florida to Vancouver when I was a skipper, spent 18 months gutting it and rebuilding her for my ex boss, learned a lot about Hatteras construction and ethos at that time, including pulling a 30KW Northern Lights up the curved stairway from the crews to the PH and out the wing door...

Im out of the boat driving game now but have spent a lot of time on Tollycraft boats, including running a 1984 48' Tolly from Vancouver to Cabo last November... First leg was to SFO non stop, boat did great, superb hull form, pure semi displacement with a round chine and deep keel, vestigial chines forward to knock down a bit of spray. Boat was all hand laid and very robustly constructed overall with a few areas that could be improved upon but nothing serious. Great running boat with a very sharp, deep forefoot that eats the chop, she's a bit wet despite the generous flare because that sharp bow has less buoyancy I guess.

The 61-65 Tolly is another one I've run a bunch. Superb pilothouse for one, great vis, super good looking boat and a sweet handler around the docks, particularly with the 735 8V92TA. 32" props big rudders and a deep keel. Honestly if you can't handle a 61-65 Tolly, I suggest you give up boating.. They are all hand laid with very good gelcoat and belt and braces boat building. up forward under the VIP there are 4 large full length hull stringers that are 2.5 feet tall and heavily glassed without wood. So they are robust handsome boats. Very efficient hull runs 10.5 knots at 1000 rpm and fuel burn is damn near 1 gallon per mile without gens. Hard to believe but seems to bear out after 10 years of cruising and filling. You give up the full height engine room for the low profile and centre of gravity, and honestly getting around to the outside of the 8V92s is a pain, the later 65s with the 3408E Cats are even worse. the 1991 61 I run is heavy about 74000 lbs, the original 1983 hulls with the 671TIs were designed to the 65000lb number. our '91 does a knot for every 100 rpm and can touch 24 at 2350 when we had the Detroit techs aboard setting the full load. 1800 gives 17.5 knots. All day long. before you call BS on me I have a ton of vides up on YT - channel is 'Boattguy'

the 65 looks better as the 61 is a bit stubby. The hull is an Ed Monk affair and the mold was shared with Nordlund. For the 65 they didn't just hang a bucket on the back, they moved the running gear to the transom and shifted the mains aft a bit. Later 65s, like after 1993 till Tolly died in 1997 were built to ABS standards with an inspector present. These are great boats with enhanced watertight integrity, a crash bulkhead, numerous process upgrades in construction like dual ram steering, the 4 stroke cats or MTU- (I'm a 2 stroke fan) etc, etc. You can recognize these later ones as they have 2 rectangular clearing ports on the hull side in the cockpit to satisfy ABS for deck drainage. Also the HR hull side air vents were moved to the inside of the bulwarks. 3 inch shafts and rudderposts too.

Full disclosure, I enjoyed my Hatteras days, loved the 840hp S&S 12V71s. Didn't like it so much when the naiads crapped out though, she liked to roll! My favourite would be a nice 58 YF- maybe im strange. Ill try to attach some photos first a 65 (ignore the ridiculous tv dome!)second a 61 at 19 knots - all best!Attachment 56901
    I've always liked that model. Stately. The bottom line is it's a boat well worth the agony of restoration and updating.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...house-7957956/
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

I fell in love with the 61' Tollycraft at 12 years old after picking up the 1988 Tollycraft brochure at the Toronto in Water Boat Show that year. I still have that brochure 34 years later and my love of Tollycrafts from that era hasn't faded. About a decade later a 61' Tollycraft spent a summer at our marina and wow, what a beautiful boat.
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

apologies for the NecroPost but thought id update- we just did a big bottom job on the 61 Tollycraft and were really surprised at her performance on the bay back to the boat shed.... 2600 hour 8V92 TA 735s the Western Canada Detroit dealer added limits to the throttle travel at 1950- she still can pull full load if these are removed. Sadly she is heading to the sales dock soon...I am linking a video of the speed run below as I didn't see anything in the rules prohibiting it... Hope you all enjoy and please let me know what you think. Best wishes!

HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/RVwLYjkh264?si=rih_FSMDn8fUcxpG

Thanks for sharing that video, I just love those 61/65 Tollycrafts.
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

That’s impressive! Comments said 85,000lbs gross and 21kts.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    That’s impressive! Comments said 85,000lbs gross and 21kts.
    dh

Travelift scales were 83-86,000 lbs. She has quite a heavy teak deck aft and on bridge also a big Novurania. We saw 23 knots at slack tide on the video. The water speed is heavily dampened. The big surprise was the increase in speed after the bottom job, much more than anticipated. Used to see about a knot per hundred rpm but now we are seeing 22+ knots at just over 1900 rpm. A solid performer to be sure and and a testament to the efficiency of the Quadralift hull and detroit muscle...

Am very familiar with big Tolly’s. Definitely would get my nod over a Hatteras LRC.