Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

Well, as of today, I am in a position to buy a larger boat, and these are two I'm considering. I may look at other options, but I plan to live on the boat and go back and forth from Tennessee and Florida which was my original plan with the now ex. Neener, neener, neener... (that's for her)

I've always loved the 70CMY, but I want range. Grand Cayman has always been a dream destination via my own boat, and I plan to make that a reality, maybe even this winter. I know the above boats have the range to go trans-Atlantic, and I've always wanted to visit Australia too. I'm retired on paper, but I'm still working my ass off in my safe business with a new game plan that's already working, big time.

Sold my lake house yesterday, so that has me ready, willing and able to pull the trigger on a bigger boat. If anyone knows of either of these examples, or something they think will fill my particular needs, PM me. Bringing a boat home from Seattle would be fun, but not this time of year. Maybe I'll buy one out there and come home via Ketchikan next summer. That's a bucket list stop for sure, and I'd practically be there already. Guess I could see what it would cost to leave the boat there until it's warm enough to head north. If I'm ever going to do it, that would be the perfect time.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

Tollys are nice boats. I've been on a couple, they have nice lines and strikingly well laid-out interiors. They really use every available inch, a 60' feels like an 80'. That said, getting to the nuts and bolts, that model is just a standard modified-v planing hull. You're talking about long ocean crossings, that is not the right tool for the job. The hatteras LRC's are true displacement hulls. That will translate to better fuel economy and a correspondingly longer range. It will result in a much, much better ride in the large rolling swells you encounter offshore. Also tollys are lightly built compared to a hatteras. A 61 tolly has a dry weight of 65k pounds and a 58 LRC has a dry weight of 90k lbs. Unless you're in a fishing tournament and leaving the couch and chairs and fat wife on the dock to gain half a knot, weight tends to be your friend offshore. For the use you're contemplating I don't think there's really much choice between the two.

I've been on both and neither one gave me the wow factor. If I was going as far as you have plans I'd look at a Nordhavn. I've toured a few of those boats and they are absolutely amazing with up to a 5000 mile range. If you decide to buy a boat in Seattle October is the time to bring it down. You won't find smoother seas and coming down California that time of the year is amazing all the way to Cabo San Lucas and beyond.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

It's a no-brainer that the LRC is the better passagemaker, but that's about it. Everything else gives the Tolly a nod from my standpoint and planned use. When searching YachtWorld, I ran across the later model 57's which I had never seen before. There was one in WA that was extremely impressive and exactly what I was looking for. I was ready to tie it up and fly out there, but when I called about it this morning, it was under contract to the point of having passed the sea trial with flying colors. Guess I was a couple of weeks late.

There is another one in TX with questionable history and in need of an interior makeover. It's a tad... hideous. This from a guy who had enough imagination to look past the disco ceiling and red velvet on my 58TC. I've found I'm not quite that imaginative these days, and I'm looking for turn key. Think I'll fly down to Galveston and give her a look, just to see if I want to veer away from a really nice 61 in Seattle. Both have their pros and cons.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Tollys are nice boats. I've been on a couple, they have nice lines and strikingly well laid-out interiors. They really use every available inch, a 60' feels like an 80'. That said, getting to the nuts and bolts, that model is just a standard modified-v planing hull. You're talking about long ocean crossings, that is not the right tool for the job. The hatteras LRC's are true displacement hulls. That will translate to better fuel economy and a correspondingly longer range. It will result in a much, much better ride in the large rolling swells you encounter offshore. Also tollys are lightly built compared to a hatteras. A 61 tolly has a dry weight of 65k pounds and a 58 LRC has a dry weight of 90k lbs. Unless you're in a fishing tournament and leaving the couch and chairs and fat wife on the dock to gain half a knot, weight tends to be your friend offshore. For the use you're contemplating I don't think there's really much choice between the two.
    I share your sentiment, Chris. The Tolly is a much better liveaboard, and I won't be in a position to where I can't wait on a weather window if needed. Coastal cruising and just going north and south with the seasons will be my primary interest.

That being said, I talked to the owner of a 61 at FLIBS a few years ago who had taken his acroos the Atlantic via the coast up and down. He had lost his wife and was selling the boat. I tried to talk him into keeping it, but that's just me. Not sure I could part with something that held so many memories. That's why I'll once again be a two yacht owner as I'm still going ahead with my plan to bring the 41 to WAY better than new condition. It and whatever I decide on will be part of my bed and breakfast/charter business. The big boat will winter in Florida with that in mind.

The 57 is a wide body that actually has a side deck on the port side of the boat. That's the best of both worlds IMO. Broker said it's much more livable than the 61 from that standpoint, and I love the galley up in the pilothouse. That would be awesome for a crew of two, or even one for that matter.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

How about a Defever or a Grand Alaskan in the 49-60' range? I like the Alaskan 56. I know, they're Taiwan boats, but still might be worth a look.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Guy in the slip behind me has an offshore 54. Runs it from NE to Fla a couple of times a year. Cockpit and walk around, seems like a nice boat. Never been on the inside tho, so can't comment there. Not in the nordhaven class, but seems like a nice boat. On the other hand, he looked at the nordhaven's, and chose this...

A Tolly with 8-92s and 1200 gallons of fuel is transatlantic?
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    A Tolly with 8-92s and 1200 gallons of fuel is transatlantic?
    Read it again. He followed the coast up and across Iceland. It definitely won't make a straight shot. Haven't done the math, but even if the LRC could, who would want to?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    How about a Defever or a Grand Alaskan in the 49-60' range? I like the Alaskan 56. I know, they're Taiwan boats, but still might be worth a look.
    I saw a Grand Alaskan on one on my trips up the coast, but I've never been on one. I was docked beside it in SC. Very handsome boat with great lines. Gotta wonder if they wander like every other Chinese boat I've run. Defevers are okay I guess. I ran a 52 (I think) many, many years ago with 3208's up here on the river.

A broker contacted me about a very nice 61 they had listed and told me it was going to be in the Seattle boat show next week. Might be fun to hit that one and just walk around a bit. I've only been to Seattle once, and that was to buy a boat that turned out to be an absolute pig. Definitely planning on FLIBS again this year if nothing stupid happens.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93