Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Advice: Boatyard problem

I have been working on my boat a 1980 50c for the past four years... total restoration. I am only
    one man with limited resource$ so it has been a slow process. Add to this the Covid hysteria and
    supplies just not being obtainable and this process is entering extra innings. When I first hauled
    the boat the yard owner allowed me to construct a shed (22x64) I am at the final paint stage. the hull.
    The topsides are complete and ready to be covered to shoot the hull. We (wife & I) stopped in the
    yard office to pay our winter bill and are excited about finally finishing our project. PROBLEM the yard
    told me in no uncertain terms my time is up and he wants the shed down in 30 days... basically the end
    of the month. No written notice just out of left field, gut check time, now what do I do?
    I still need the shed to paint up in the northeast and to protect any other boats from
    overspray. Also the final touches to be finished this winter as the shed is heated, air compressor etc.
    Now on a holiday weekend starts the scramble to try to find inside storage for a freshly painted boat
    as shrinkwrap is not an option. No hardware has been reinstalled yet so if the boat is uncovered all
    the work over the past 4 years will go to shit. What I am looking at is launch vessel, relocate to another
    yard, rebuild a new shed structure, re winterize the mains etc. I offered what I considered an obscene
    amount to let me finish the boat for a spring launch and was told I'm tired of looking at the shed, times up,
    your problem is not my problem. Is there anything legal I can do to stay? I'm sure it will be more than
    awkward, but looking at close to 25,000 to move the boat. Don't know if this would be "land law" or
    maritime law? My bill is current and I've been a customer here for 15 years. I don't get it... Any advice
    would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    50c-1980-DYLAMAR

Re: Advice: Boatyard problem

IMO, Without anything written or a real verbal agreement on length of stay, Your with out a pot to piss in.

You can buy an extra day or two forcing a written notice, but without a lease, IMO, you are a short term storage customer.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-05-2021 at 01:12 PM.

Leave the legal advice to the lawyers. There's more to the story than he's tired of seeing it. Something else is not being communicated. I think you should get proper legal advice ASAP. Don't waste time talking on forums.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Having experienced a great deal as a commercial landlord over the decades, I’d consider doing and saying unothing. Make him file an eviction. With the time involved in service and answering, you might buy a couple of months-more if the local magistrate court has a Covid backlog. I imagine an attorney could get creative and drag it out by raising all manner of issues even w/o a lease agreement in place. You might spend a bit and get some options. Of course, the environment will probably get well and truly toxic PDQ. Will it be worth it?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Pretty much my thoughts.... didn't think I had any recourse. It is his yard - his rules. Seems a little vindictive
    to have us uncovered in October in CT when the winter storage season begins. Was told he wanted to re configure
    his yard plan and turn boats 90* to increase storage. I am 24' from a fence line taking up a footprint of 22x60
    if you figure I'm taking up the place of four 40' boats and around 1000-1500 per for potential yard work
    this winter on said vessels, in the spirit of fairness as he has a business to run I offered as an opener
    $10,000 for the winter usually $40/ft for hauling and storage is the rate. Was told it's not money he wants
    the shed gone. Being so close to the finish line it just frosts me to get set back like this.
    50c-1980-DYLAMAR

You are correct as I'm sure the environment would become toxic. Wish I had known this back in the
    spring so I could have made other arrangements for this winter. Inside storage up here is very hard to
    come by and not even an option at this late date. I figured I was all set for the winter but as of now I'm
    running around to other yards to try to figure something out, well I will be Tuesday most all are
    closed for the Holiday. The timing really sucks and I'm feeling a bit blindsided by all of this. Hence my
    curiosity of any legal recourse to finish the winter and be gone.
    50c-1980-DYLAMAR

I guess turning the boat and shed 90° to match the new plan isn't a realistic concept?

I'm just spitballing. Cant see it from here.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Offered to move the shed and was told its not an option. Offered $$. It is a lost situation. heels are dug in
    and there is no reasoning with the owner. I'm just really salty getting set back like this time wise having
    to move and re set up to finish, just a lousy situation that is going to cost a lot of extra $$ that I wasn't
    planning on spending. There is no inside storage available at the yard and the painter said under
    no circumstance should the boat be shrink wrapped. Feelings are mixed... gone from being bummed out
    to really pissed off that the yard can bend me over like this and I have no say or recourse. Last winter (the
    rate is around 2k a winter season) I was charged 6500.... I wasn't happy but I paid it understanding he
    probably had lost $$$ having me there. I figured I was going to get charged 3x plus the going rate this
    year too since nothing was said until Thursday 9-2-21. If I still had reasonable time to move shame on me for
    not doing so, but for the 30 day to come out of left field at this point in the season has me pretty frosted.
    Sorry to piss and moan like a little bitch but man does this suck.... another lesson learned.
    50c-1980-DYLAMAR

Thank You for letting me vent.....
    50c-1980-DYLAMAR

Is there sufficient labor in the area to get some help? Bring them in and get going. Sound like its time to spend the money differently.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"