Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good Luck: Ida

Good Luck: Ida

Looks like this could be the real deal. Everybody tie them good and head up the hill. Take good care.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Good Luck: Ida

Yeah. No shear and very hot water along the way. NHC keeps upping their intensity forecast...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

i have been prepping all day today and will tomorrow too, tie the boat in the middle of the bayou and decide if we leave or stay
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

i still have a boat and a house......we came through Ida pretty unscathed. some tree limbs down and some water on the property. still too windy to get the boat back to the dock. god bless our neighbors in louisiana
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Its pretty bad down there

https://youtu.be/YiwacxSjVI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IWHU_sUNbA

T
    hese videos were made on the protected side of the levee. Several friends still waiting to hear how their places or boats faired.

6. Re: Good Luck: Ida

It’s rather amazing that Power Companies haven’t yet all buried their lines by now, what with all the fires, tornadoes, and hurricanes we regularly have. The pole, and Line Truck lobby must be pretty strong. At least the NOLA levees held up this time. My old house in Gentilly (Robert E. Lee & St. Roch) was under water in Katrina, but I also remember that the sword hanging over our heads was the excuse we used to party like there would be no tomorrow.
    Last edited by Retired1; 08-31-2021 at 12:59 PM.

I would hate to be the one trying to bury anything along Hwy 1 from Golden Meadow to Fourchon. They did recently replace the old wooden poles on that stretch with metal poles on a concrete foundation. Curious how that part of the grid held up.

What's more amazing is the power companies have not gone with DC HV transmission (like Europe) yet. One wire vs three.
    Regards
    Dan

Lack of Right of Way width and high project cost are the biggest challenges to go underground with utilities long after original design. Each utility needs its own conduit. cable providers, fiber providers, etc. In hard hit places, people may be happy to give up 10 feet of driveway/yard.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

10. Re: Good Luck: Ida

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    Lack of Right of Way width and high project cost are the biggest challenges to go underground with utilities long after original design. Each utility needs its own conduit. cable providers, fiber providers, etc. In hard hit places, people may be happy to give up 10 feet of driveway/yard.
    Governments already have easements on all property. I watched them lay water piping along US1 here in St. Lucie County for the first time, It was amazingly fast. Those big Ditch Witches are incredible machines. Also along US1 you will also see huge concrete power poles (ugly!!). One day I stopped and asked the FPUA guys working those lines (power regularly is knocked out by -get this- TREE FROGS) about burying those lines, and the guys were all “oh hell yeah, you think we like being up this high scraping off frogs?”. Oh, and to my previous remark about the levies not failing this time. I was wrong, they indeed failed in Plaquemines Parrish.