Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yachtsmanbill

Re: Yachtsmanbill

Make that $100.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

You Did It!

I have to be honest, hitting people up for money is not something I do easily. Frankly, almost never. But Bill has been a good and generous friend to me and other people here and I felt this was a necessary and worthwhile way we could do something real and help out a friend in a really bad spot.

Credit for this all belongs to Scott (boatsb) and Sky Cheney for coming up with the idea and doing the legwork of finding a facility and getting a spot, and getting a leg up on the funding. It also all belongs to the generosity of the members of the H.O.F. I'm not going to rat anybody out, but I am just in awe of the people here.

Many times I've said that I've met some of the best friends I've ever had in my life here and you've proved it again. This is just an exceptional group of people and I can't thank you enough.

1970 36C375

Way to go. I have to agree we have a great group here. When a man is down we don't leave him behind. We don't let him wallow. We step up and do what needs to be done.

I have to thank my cohorts who did so much so fast to make this happen.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Bill has always done all of the work himself on this boat and on the Hatteras he owned. In fact, some of the most viewed threads ever on this forum were of Bill working on his Hatteras. This Roamer was his dad's boat so it means a great deal to Bill. Bill's dad was a tug boat captain on the Great Lakes and went down with his tug in Grand Traverse Bay in an early winter storm. I believe this was around 1980 and Bill has kept this boat in memory of his dad.

So, I thank everyone who has pledged to donate and I will remind you to please follow through on your commitment. You are truly a great group and this is indeed a worthy cause.

Hatt's off to all of you. And please continue with the prayers for Bill's recovery.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I was talking to Scott earlier and he sent me Pat's address. Done deal.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

This is ppat. yachtsmanbills S/O. The generosity of the boating community is beyond compare. From Bill and myself thank you so much.
    Look up the Lauren Castle. She went down in 1980 and was only recently found. You can youtube the video of it but be prepared to get goose bumps. Again thank you for helping us take care of the Heart of Glass and
    easing my mind. Right now Bill doesn't really have clue what is going on but I know my guy and he will get better.

Thank you all again.ppat .
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

The Problems With Fundraising

We need to have a really awkward conversation.

Pat went to book the storage this morning and I spoke to the marina myself as well.

Somehow we got the wrong number for the cost of storage and our good intentions are going to end up costing Pat money instead of reducing the burden. Obviously that was not anybody's intention. I also want to point out that we went with the best information we had available at the time and there was no intent otherwise, nor did Pat know about our efforts until the 11th hour. But you know what they say about the pavement on the road to H E double toothpicks.

We can't, in good conscience, ask the people here who were so generous to cover our mistakes.
    Between the group that originated this before I asked here, Sky, Randy, boatsb, myself and a number of others, there are enough extra dollars to pay for professional handling and winterizing of the Roamer at a local yard. While not as ideal as the heated indoor storage it will adequately accomplish the objective of unburdening Pat from the care of the Roamer so she can focus her efforts on Bill's recovery.

So if you haven't mailed a check yet. Hold off. If you have, it will be returned to you. If there are any issues please contact me here via PM, or call me out directly in this thread if necessary.

Once again, I can't say enough good things about the kindness of the people here. Please understand that we asked for your help for the right reasons, that this is embarrassing and awkward and I'm reminded once again why hitting people up for money isn't something I usually do.

1970 36C375

On top of you and boatsb wanting to help bill you then handle the mistake with honesty and class. I am out of town till next week but I would be glad to help when I get back. (Don’t have checkbook and envelopes) and I think the others who helped earlier would still be all in. I don’t think anyone is suspecting a swindle or anything of the type. I don’t know bill but the caring that you, boatsb, and the others have showed is very inspiring. Thank you all.

I just saw this thread yesterday and planned to help out. If things change yet again please let me know. Bill and Pat are good people.

Re: The Problems With Fundraising

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    We need to have a really awkward conversation.

Pat went to book the storage this morning and I spoke to the marina myself as well.

Somehow we got the wrong number for the cost of storage and our good intentions are going to end up costing Pat money instead of reducing the burden. Obviously that was not anybody's intention. I also want to point out that we went with the best information we had available at the time and there was no intent otherwise, nor did Pat know about our efforts until the 11th hour. But you know what they say about the pavement on the road to H E double toothpicks.

We can't, in good conscience, ask the people here who were so generous to cover our mistakes.
    Between the group that originated this before I asked here, Sky, Randy, boatsb, myself and a number of others, there are enough extra dollars to pay for professional handling and winterizing of the Roamer at a local yard. While not as ideal as the heated indoor storage it will adequately accomplish the objective of unburdening Pat from the care of the Roamer so she can focus her efforts on Bill's recovery.

So if you haven't mailed a check yet. Hold off. If you have, it will be returned to you. If there are any issues please contact me here via PM, or call me out directly in this thread if necessary.

Once again, I can't say enough good things about the kindness of the people here. Please understand that we asked for your help for the right reasons, that this is embarrassing and awkward and I'm reminded once again why hitting people up for money isn't something I usually do.
    Sounds like a good problem to have to me. Not accepting further donations and returning overages is a sign of integrity. Many would have considered the overage as a get well gift or whatever. I'm out of town and had no checks with me, so I'll not send mine.

I'll still come to see Willy and Pat in the Bird bus when I have a chance.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93