Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

CPAP Usage While on the Hook

Good morning. I recently got issued a CPAP (Dreamstation 2) for mild to moderate sleep apnea. It has not shipped yet, but according to the data sheet, it's electrical requirements are 100-240VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1.0--2.0 A, I could not find anything on the powersupply cord but on the original Dreamstation, the cord is stamped 80W. I assume that my average nightly draw/use would be about 55 amps from a 12 v battery bank.

Note: I am in between boats now and therefore cannot calculate total amperage needed for priority electronic appliances...

So now to my general questions. I have never taken my old CPAP aboard, so for anyone currently using a CPAP while liveaboard/cruising, how much of a pain is it? Do you find its better to plug into an inverter? How are most Hatts wired in the Master (12v or 120)? Any other comments/experiences you would like to share?

Re: CPAP Usage While on the Hook

Just run it on 120v off an an inverter. I have all of my outlet running off of my inverter so it wouldn't be a problem.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Well if it s labeled 100-240 vac you ll need to plug it in a 120v outlet which means you either need to run the gen or install an inverter to feed outlets

It doesn’t seem to be using much power so you may get away with powering it with a portable power pack with built in inverter.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks for the info...
    Ty Lewis
    In Decent Seas
    1970 Chris Craft Commander 55
    HIN: FAA-55-0001 DD 8V-71 NA
    Kent Island, MD

Mine has an available 12v cord. I had a cigarette lighter style plug installed next to my berth.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Years ago when those things first came out I took a bunch of "old guys" up in the mountains elk hunting. We stayed in tents and a couple of them brought their CPAP and an inverter. They would charge their batteries on the generator during the middle of the day and they would last all night for their machines. Should work just as well on a boat.

Power packs are pretty skookum these days, so that would definitely get you started. After that I would figure out a nice inverter setup.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The Air Mini has a battery available.
    Both are pricy but the Cpap is fantastic and small.
    You can charge the battery on 110 during the day or when gen is on.
    I lack the inverter so would have to use the battery on an overnight.

Good luck and happy sleeping.
    Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363

I don't know how much power a CPAP machine uses. But the lead singer in our band just bought a portable lithium ion batter small PA made by JBL which will run for twelve hours on a charge. Given that a lot more people need CPAP than are singers, I'll bet there is a battery CPAP with a lithium ion power pack in it that would suit your needs.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems like i have one less thing to be concerned about.
    Ty Lewis
    In Decent Seas
    1970 Chris Craft Commander 55
    HIN: FAA-55-0001 DD 8V-71 NA
    Kent Island, MD