Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Swamp Donkey 40 Double Cabin 1987, St Petersburg, FL

Anyone recognize this boat or have any knowledge of it? Now for sale with no name in Clearwater, FL, looks pretty clean but wondering about the history, was once in Grosse Isle Michigan as Lindsea per boat history report, any thoughts, tips concerns? Has crusader engines, very basic amenities, to include it is completely missing a windlass, that seems strange for a boat of this size. Thanks for your thoughts, power boating newbie, so all tips are appreciated!

Re: Swamp Donkey 40 Double Cabin 1987, St Petersburg, FL

You forgot to add the link.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    You forgot to add the link.
    Does it matter? I think the name is enough to turn me off of it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The name was removed, but thought that it was one that someone may remember. Boat located in Clearwater Harbor Marina if anyone is in the area. What are the members general opinions of this model for dock princess duty, light cruising in ICW and possible (with some upgrades) Bahamas and Keys? Thanks for your input total newbie at the wheel!

PS - The moderators say I am too new to post a link, but you can easily find it on YW - sorry!

I'm a big fan of donkeys, there is one named Clyde that we see quite often (he's in a pasture across from my daughter's piano teacher's house) who is a real character.

Being a curious type of person, I looked up what the expression Swamp Donkey means and here's what I found....

From the Urban Dictionary (cleaned up a bit):

A Swamp Donkey is less than hygienic person with low morals and of poor character, who will do just about anything for drugs (including lying, cheating, stealing or prostituting themselves)

Swamp Donkeys cannot be trusted but are always friendly.

Swamp Donkeys tend to be loud (like the braying of a donkey) and starved for attention. They tend to stay stuck in the muds, meaning they get nowhere in life and are not of use to anyone other for the purpose of physical pleasure.

Thank you for the info, based on that description I have no interest in reusing that name, but the wife wouldn't have approved of it anyway. So back to the actual question at hand, comments, thoughts, plus/minus of the 40DC as an ICW friendly, dock side weekend retreat, Bahamas island hopping vessel? In Florida waters any comments about the draft, I think it is 4 feet +

again thank you for any feedback,

7. Re: Swamp Donkey 40 Double Cabin 1987, St Petersburg, FL

Draft is pushing five feet which is kinda deep for Florida. That’s considered deep for even Florida built sailboats of that size. Keep in mind that a Bayliner 47’ only draws 40 inches. Gas motors, even Crusaders don’t last forever, which also brings up the availability and affordability of insurance. Plus it’s a really old boat.

Looking at the layout of the 40 DC I would advise against it .
    For Fl and farther south keeping cool is very important.
    The single helm requires a full Bimini and isenglass enclosure to protect from rain.
    Very hot unless you go to the effort of installing and removing as needed.
    The slanted glass windshield will transmit an enormous amount of heat into the salon as well.
    My 2 cents. After living abroad in Fl for more than a decade
    Capt. Rob 😎

Getting back on the topic, the boat itself looks (in pictures) to be in nice shape--it would have been nice to see some engine room photos which were notable by their absence.

As a matter of personal preference, I would look for a diesel powered boat if at all possible. They are a premium but if you plan on using it a fair bit the added reliability and fuel economy of diesel (plus greater safety) is probably worth the extra money.

Getting back on the topic, the boat itself looks (in pictures) to be in nice shape--it would have been nice to see some engine room photos which were notable by their absence.

As a matter of personal preference, I would look for a diesel powered boat if at all possible. They are a premium but if you plan on using it a fair bit the added reliability and fuel economy of diesel (plus greater safety) is probably worth the extra money.