Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Happy 40th Anniversary To Me!

40 years ago today marks my official start date of going into the gun safe business. Just a 23 year old kid who decided to give it a shot having watched how NOT to own and operate a business by a rich kid who inherited everything and hired me to manage it but wouldn’t stay out of my way. This lead to a bankruptcy for him and a business opportunity for me. It took some convincing with my manufacturers that this wasn’t a trick as they had only dealt with me in person over the years. The owner took them and others for a considerable sum of money.

I did it my own way and (toot toot) became the largest volume dealer in the country my first full year. This though a massive, national advertising campaign that put me front and center in the NRA and other such shooting/hunting publications. I would retain that title for over 20 years until industry changes (dealer direct vs warehouse distribution) lead to me reinventing myself. It has become an industry of smoke and mirrors where manufacturers lie and is inundated with Chinese crap which I refuse to sell. I’ll deliver and install it, but that’s it.

Not exactly a party situation in the hospital with COVID, but I’m hoping to soon party like it’s 1981 en route to a 50th anniversary in 2031. Thanks for indulging me as I am rather proud of this milestone. Thanks also for the outpouring of support during my recent, Captain COVID weeks. Your PM’s have been very inspiring, and I’m very grateful to have met so many of you in person over the years. This is a great group of guys with a few clunkers thrown in to accentuate the positives. Perhaps even those types will learn the value of this forum beyond that of technical exchanges between dock queens.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Happy 40th Anniversary To Me!

YAY to 40 years. get well soon and make it to 50 years
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Randy, I need a gun safe and a captain (wife wants me down with the guests) for the next Madeira Beach Veterans Day boat parade. Perhaps a deal can be made.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Randy, I need a gun safe and a captain (wife wants me down with the guests) for the next Madeira Beach Veterans Day boat parade. Perhaps a deal can be made.
    I would love to help in anyway I can and haven’t been to Madeira Beach in quite sometime. I need to reconnect with Dave DiSesa whom I’ve lost track of. He had/has some health issues and hasn’t been active on here for sometime. He lives in Madeira Beach and has had me as a guest in his home there. Great guy who has always been extremely helpful to me over our 15 year friendship.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93