Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: 'THERE IS SMOKE EVERYWHERE!!' not what you want to hear 40mi offshore....

Check the oil and dilution. I had the same scenario on the first 46HP with the 8/92’s but was in cruise. Turned out a bad injector jumper line filled the crankcase with fuel and wiped out the engine. Like you said bunch of white smoke in the ER and locked up engine when we tried to restart
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

My Onan (Kubota) 8KW ran backwards once. It was slow starting then popped and ran backwards until it felt like stopping.

I suspect a pre igniting cycliner pops the engine backwards and it's off to the races.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 08-11-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but under what circumstances during "normal" operation can a DD engine wind up cranking/starting in the wrong direction?
    Truckers can do it by rolling down an incline and popping the clutch. In boats I would imagine it would happen on startup or shutdown. Either don't hold the shutdown button long enough, or bump the start button too quickly. All the engine needs is a roll backwards from a compression stroke and it can fire in reverse rotation.

To be honest I have no clue how it would have happened in this case, but I did start/shutdown that engine multiple times throughout the day, guess I didn't do it properly one time.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Truckers can do it by rolling down an incline and popping the clutch. In boats I would imagine it would happen on startup or shutdown. Either don't hold the shutdown button long enough, or bump the start button too quickly. All the engine needs is a roll backwards from a compression stroke and it can fire in reverse rotation.

To be honest I have no clue how it would have happened in this case, but I did start/shutdown that engine multiple times throughout the day, guess I didn't do it properly one time.
    I had a Deutz diesel that bumped itself backwards a couple of times. I know I let go the fuel shutoff too soon because I duplicated it. At least a Deutz is air-cooled.

Rusty, I'm sure all of us have let up on the shutdown early once or twice. This will be important to diagnose for all of us. I wish you luck, my friend.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 08-11-2021 at 01:14 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Sorry to hear this. I hope you find that it was something else less costly. Damaging an engine is my worst fear right behind catching fire and sinking.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I had a Deutz diesel that bumped itself backwards a couple of times. I know I let go the fuel shutoff too soon because I duplicated it. At least a Deutz is air-cooled.

Rusty, I'm sure all of us have let up on the shutdown early once or twice. This will be important to diagnose for all of us. I wish you luck, my friend.
    Yup, i just wish there were some type of fail safe or an alarm of some sort. I have all the pieces to add rpm to my digital boat brain system. I could possibly rig up a script that alarms on negative rpm. Maybe that's my correction moving forward. An alarm that raises hell in the case of a negative rpm.

Currently if you 'short shutdown' and engine rolls in reverse, your rpm and oil pressure goes to zero, you think the engine is indeed off and turn the key off (which makes you loose water temp and any alarm circuits)
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    Sorry to hear this. I hope you find that it was something else less costly. Damaging an engine is my worst fear right behind catching fire and sinking.
    meh, engines can be rebuilt, cylinders and pistons can be replaced, bearings can be rolled in. Fire and water are the two biggies that scare me.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    meh, engines can be rebuilt, cylinders and pistons can be replaced, bearings can be rolled in. Fire and water are the two biggies that scare me.
    100% agreed
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I had a similar issue last year, eye burning smoke filled engine room. After checking almost everything I was stumped and was thinking the worst. As it turned out, and I am thinking of you trying to start your engine and only getting a clunk. It was my 12 volt battery shut off switch. one of the terminal had become a bit loose, which caused resistance, which caused heat, which caused resistance which.. you get the idea. When I removed it I was amazed as to how badly burnt and melted it was. I had a photo, but can not find it. Anyway, good luck with your situation. P

post copied from boatdiesel:

Ok, started digging into her late last night. I removed the access ports and some water (and/or) coolant came out. Not a bunch but it was definitely present. Also emptied the puke can which also contained water and/or coolant. I ran a bore scope up in one inboard cylinder and one outboard cylinder. Both were in pretty rough shape (pics attached).

Due to the presence of the water, and the visual of the cylinders I pretty much made the decision that there was a good chance we were hydrolocked and that we need kits. So I proceeded with removing the injectors before I attempted to bar the engine over.

After injector removal I attempted to bar the engine and could not get it to move. I didnīt put everything I had into it but I (200lbs) did stand on a breaker bar and it didnīt budge.

I then called it a night (2:30am) I sprayed exposed metal surfaces with WD-40, also sprayed a little down in the cylinders along with some atf.

Going to try to get the oil pan off today. There is actually sorta decent clearance to get access to it.

Depending on how that goes I think Iīm going to try to inframe it. Looking things over last night and it appears my biggest hurdle is going to be handling the heads. May have to rig up some type of rope pulley or lever system. Anyone cracked that nut before, any secrets?

So,.... I guess I need to get a rebuild kit and a gasket kit on order. Anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase those? I want to make certain we get a quality kit and that it is the correct kit for this engine.

A few pics from inside the 2 cylinders. Kinda sad, I had the bore scope on these last year and they were beautiful metal and cross hatched.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL