Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: 'THERE IS SMOKE EVERYWHERE!!' not what you want to hear 40mi offshore....

Long time no update on this thread. Made some good progress this weekend. The pistons/liners were finished a couple weeks back. Got the heads and the exhaust manifolds hung this weekend. Major milestone on the rebuild schedule. Hopefully everything else buttons up rather quickly and we will be fishing in a month or two!

Block prepped and ready for final wipedown

Gaskets and spacers installed

Head suspended over the block. Once in place everything gets a final wipe and gasket check

Since the heads weigh over 300lbs each, ATV Winches were rigged to low profile unistrut which was screwed to the ceiling. This allows us to winch up and then slide the head into the block. Once the head was 1" or so from the block, 1 last gasket check and the guide studs were installed, so the head could be placed perfectly.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 06-19-2022 at 03:00 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

The winches were powered with small M12 Milwaukee drill batteries.

The setup really allowed us to lift the heads as high as possible as the low height of the ceiling required.

After setting the heads the winch system was used to set the exhaust manifolds as well.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Very clever hoist setup!

Many thanks for sharing and (continued) best of luck...

DAN
    Ditto that. Nice to see positive progress, and pics.

Lots of pics.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Glad to see your making progress. Ever solve the cause of the problem? That’s a great use for the unistrut trolley system. I need to keep this one in mind. I keep having these pop up on my Amazon page.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Glad you're getting closer to being back on the water. Since we had this argument, I tried a new mechanic who to give the short explanation was a nutcase and trashed my engines. I ended up doing inframe rebuilds on both (with a different mechanic who knows what he's doing). It took about a month and a half to have it done, but the final cost was right at $70k. I like your way much better.

Ok, little update. Finally got everything buttoned back up and fired her up Sunday! One small oil leak (gasket mis-positioned on turbo install) and two small raw water leaks which just needed a little more torque on the hose clamps.
    She fired right up and purred like a kitten. Not gonna lie, it was a GREAT sound to hear.

Quick video of running during the initial startup.

Some things I learned along the way.
    - An inframe rebuild is a MAJOR project. Sooooo many parts/pieces to these engines, and doing the work in a hole leaves a lot to be desired. Total project time on this was approx 1yr for us, but it took 6 months for cylinder liners to arrive. So in reality, it was more like a few weeks for teardown and about 6 months to re-assemble. Keeping in mind this was done on free and long weekends (I live 4.5hrs from boat).
    - Organization was KEY!!! All parts got bagged and tagged/labeled with any special instructions listed on the bags.
    - Many parts of this project are 1 person, but when doing in-frame it's sooooo helpful to have a second person, if for nothing else to hand you a wrench/tool...etc instead of having to crawl out of the hole find the tool, then crawl back down in.
    - I'm guesstimating, without labor, I've got approx $12k in the rebuild. Approx $7k in parts and $5k in misc supplies, tools, gloves, solvents, oils, cleaners...etc. I don't even know how many hours of labor, but def in the 100's. I also did two blower rebuilds with bypass that added approx $2k to the project.

I installed a new blower with bypass valve on the rebuild engine. While everything was down I went ahead and changed the blower on the other engine as well. Both engines got rebuilt injectors, new coolant, oil...etc. The blower bypass mod should remove an 80hp load on the engines at cruise-wot.

Hoping to do the break-in run this coming sunday, still got a few things to button up before we are ready for seatrial. Hopefully everything stays buttoned up and we are back on the water soon!

Special thanks to all here as well as the guys over at boatdiesel.com who really helped me with questions/guidance along the way. Without these two resources (and youtube) there is no way I could have done this project.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 09-28-2022 at 09:10 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Solution: After lots of thinking and figuring, I believe I've come up with a way to keep a 'short shutdown' from happening.
    The idea is to work a timer-relay into the shutdown button circuit. So when the shutdown button is pressed, even if for a split second, the relay stays closed for 5-10secs before it releases the shutdown solenoid. So even if you accidentally bump the button the engine will just go ahead and shut down.

Or if you are an idiot like me and just don't hold it down for long enough, the timed relay will stay closed for plenty of time.

In addition I'm going to add some alarm parameters to my electronic display that will be able to warn of no oil pressure when rpm (even if negative) is present.

Hopefully these two fail safes will prevent this from happening again.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Congratulations and best of luck on the sea trial!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Solution: After lots of thinking and figuring, I believe I've come up with a way to keep a 'short shutdown' from happening.
    The idea is to work a timer-relay into the shutdown button circuit. So when the shutdown button is pressed, even if for a split second, the relay stays closed for 5-10secs before it releases the shutdown solenoid. So even if you accidentally bump the button the engine will just go ahead and shut down.

Or if you are an idiot like me and just don't hold it down for long enough, the timed relay will stay closed for plenty of time.

In addition I'm going to add some alarm parameters to my electronic display that will be able to warn of no oil pressure when rpm (even if negative) is present.

Hopefully these two fail safes will prevent this from happening again.
    Great idea. Have one designed and patent it! After replacing most everything, the on/off switches on the helm were about the cheapest part. It's too important to be the cheapest. AND, make them different colors for me will ya....I still confuse the damned things.

Congrats on that monster undertaking. You probably saved $30k and finished just as quickly as shop would have done at full cost.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Awesome job on a huge undertaking. I noted that you didn't remove the crank. I was really wondering how that would be done with the engine in-frame.

One question from your post. You mention "short shutdown" (which I believe means, not holding the shutdown button in long enough to completely stop the engine). I didn't realize doing so could create any major problems. What issues can doing this cause?

Anyway, after doing this by accident twice, I've now been pretty diligent about making sure I hold those buttons in for at least 10 seconds.