Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Water hose quick connect for 1963 Hatteras Double Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by Blowncar View Post
    Maybe it's because Sam's is charging $96 plus shipping instead of the $21.95 shipped i paid on-line for the same exact part???

I do buy from Sam's for boat specific items but not mass produced items like this.

OP check ebay Parker BH4-60w they are brass and you can buy the brass adapter to go from pipe to hose fitting at lowes/ Hd or walmart basically anyone who sells garden hoses should have it.
    Okay, but when you get it from Sams, its ready to go. You don't have to make a trip to Lowes for more parts.

And if you want these guys to be around when you need a "boat specific" part, then maybe supporting them on these parts might make the difference in the future.

They also host this site which is free. I consider paying a little more for their expertise the price of admission for this great forum.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Besides are great people to deal with.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Besides are great people to deal with.
    That has not been my experience.

Since I bought this boat a few months ago I've tried to use them for parts exclusively to support the family so to speak. I am a longtime classic Chris-Craft owner, and because the company went bankrupt in the 1980's and there hasn't been parts support in 30 years, I am more familiar than I ever wanted to be with how to track this stuff down and get it made. I am trying to use Sam's.

I've sent multiple detailed emails including photos of the missing parts that I need (not particularly exotic stuff - I need the chrome & felt window seals that go between the sliding salon windows, a new hatteras alarm panel for the bridge because mine's missing the pushbuttons, new fuel and water gauges, this is all stuff that's shown in stock on their website) and I can't get an email back from them, and I've left voicemails and can't get a phone call back from them.

The one time they did write me back, they asked me to remove and measure my fuel and water senders. That was in response to my email that explained upfront the former owner had removed them and installed blanks, and included a picture of the blank. I gave them my hull number and asked whether they weren't all the same on the 53's with the 700 gallon tanks (logically a 99% chance they are), and that's been a month and a half with crickets chirping. I can't measure something I don't have.

I know the boating industry as a whole is crazy right now and everybody is busy, but this is ridiculous. I'm basically jumping up and down waving my wallet at them saying "over here, over here!" and nothing. I don't get what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by broberts87 View Post
    Looking for the adapter that allows a standard size water garden hose to connect to the boat for faucets and other running water on the boat. The male adapter fixed on the boat is relatively large, standard garden hose quick connects are too small, the diameter of the quick connect is about 7/8in. Picture for reference.
    As to the main issue in this thread, don't use that damn thing. Unless you're superhuman at some point you will eventually forget and leave it on when you leave the boat. The original plumbing system is all-copper just like a house and can handle city water pressure no problem. But you're putting your whole boat in the hands of every previous owner or whoever they hired if they installed or changed anything else anywhere in the system. Whether it's a dishwasher, new sink, extra icemaker, new water heater, a washdown somewhere, whatever it is, there's about a 100% chance they used now-aged flexible plastic lines that may or may not be double-clamped. This is stuff that's in the category of never supposed to happen, but is probably on half of all boats out there. People don't think about it the same way because it's usually not a problem with the lower pressure of the onboard fresh water system. On dock water the weak connections will blow.

I almost lost a 47 Commander this way, it happened to me. I got lucky and came back right before the water reached the parquet floors in the forward cabin.

They are still good people to deal with.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

You can measure for the tank senders with a tape measure down the hole until it hits the bottom. You don't need the old senders.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    That has not been my experience.

Since I bought this boat a few months ago I've tried to use them for parts exclusively to support the family so to speak. I am a longtime classic Chris-Craft owner, and because the company went bankrupt in the 1980's and there hasn't been parts support in 30 years, I am more familiar than I ever wanted to be with how to track this stuff down and get it made. I am trying to use Sam's.

I've sent multiple detailed emails including photos of the missing parts that I need (not particularly exotic stuff - I need the chrome & felt window seals that go between the sliding salon windows, a new hatteras alarm panel for the bridge because mine's missing the pushbuttons, new fuel and water gauges, this is all stuff that's shown in stock on their website) and I can't get an email back from them, and I've left voicemails and can't get a phone call back from them.

The one time they did write me back, they asked me to remove and measure my fuel and water senders. That was in response to my email that explained upfront the former owner had removed them and installed blanks, and included a picture of the blank. I gave them my hull number and asked whether they weren't all the same on the 53's with the 700 gallon tanks (logically a 99% chance they are), and that's been a month and a half with crickets chirping. I can't measure something I don't have.

I know the boating industry as a whole is crazy right now and everybody is busy, but this is ridiculous. I'm basically jumping up and down waving my wallet at them saying "over here, over here!" and nothing. I don't get what the problem is.
    What year 53 do you have? I looked at your profile and it didn’t indicate any information. If it’s a 79 I could help you out with the amount of gallons, My specs read 585 gallons total.. If it’s any other year somebody else on the forum would step up and tell you what the fuel Capacity is.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    What year 53 do you have? I looked at your profile and it didn’t indicate any information. If it’s a 79 I could help you out with the amount of gallons, My specs read 585 gallons total.. If it’s any other year somebody else on the forum would step up and tell you what the fuel Capacity is.
    It's a 1981. In 1980 they went from 500-something gallon tanks to 700-something gallons. So theoretically there could be a difference. I say theoretically because the pre and post 1980 boats have the same lower level headroom, so they really could only have done it by extending the footprint of the tanks rather than the height. Since there are only two directions to go, out or up, process of elimination tells you that much. I'd bet money the gauge assemblies on your 1979 are the same as the ones that are supposed to be on mine. I really don't know why they can't just sell me whatever normally goes on a 1980's 53MY. If they don't want to be responsible for a return, then fine, I'll eat the cost if I'm wrong. Just send me the darn gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You can measure for the tank senders with a tape measure down the hole until it hits the bottom. You don't need the old senders.
    They said they wanted the length of the sending units themselves. Looking at pictures of other people's they've posted online they're a standard rochester 8600 series gauge they come in several lengths. I guess there is nothing stopping me from just measuring the tanks and ordering them from rochester then I can shut up about it.

All you have to do is measure from the bottom of the threads to the bottom of the tank. The senders don’t know gallons. Just the level of liquid at that point in the tank.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale