Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Ideal Windlass problem

Hi- I have a Ideal APC 35 vertical windlass that has been a problem as long as I've owned the boat. The chain (3/8") doesn't cleanly strip off the wildcat and intermittently jams on the 'stripper' instead of falling into the chain locker. It of course does this at the most in-opportune time (randomly) and will trip the breaker necessitating a run to the chain locker to reset the breaker. Not good.

I've replaced the wildcat with new from Ideal, made sure the chain is flaking into the locker and not piling up and still have the problem - so I am back to trouble shooting.

What I've seen is that the entry port to the chain locker is pretty low when compared to the angle the chain comes off of the wildcat and thought about adding a spacer to raise up the elbow. See pic. Also realized the windlass dataplate says it is a 12V unitIMG_4471.jpgWindlass.jpg though I'm sure I have 32V running to the motor from the relays. I have talked to Jeff at Shaeffer Marine and he's asked for a video of it running and advised to check the wildcat casting for the chain size. He says it'll be cast into the wildcat.

I don't think the windlass is running too fast, from my experience if I were running 32V into a 12V motor it'd spin like crazy and would not last long. Am I correct?

I'm heading to the boat this afternoon to take a video for Shaeffer and will recheck the input voltage, just because its been a few years since I last checked. Thoughts?
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Re: Ideal Windlass problem

Maybe the stripper blade is worn down?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I'm thinking the stripper is to early or the down pipe is late. There is a science (crude) to where the down pipe is vs the stripper.
    That is a new Wild-Cat? Does not look like it's messing with the chain that well.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-03-2021 at 06:22 PM.

The wildcat was new from Schaeffer 2 years ago, with little use since replacing. I’d guess 20 cycles at the most. I have noticed that the placement of the downpipe varies on the YF’s and 53’s I’ve run across and I’ve seen variations in the height of the pipe as well. I’ll take a closer look at the stripper tonight.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

I would have Schaefer re look at it. The dont get it righ the 1st time.

The rebuilt my windlass a few years back and it was nightmare. The sent it back with the wrong motor. Only figure that out when I went to have it wired up.

They then sent me a new motor and I had that installed. Once that we in and running. The windlass ran so slow. Turns out the gears were not designed for the new motor.

I gave up with them and had a local machine shop make me new gears and it ran much better.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL
    Hatters 53MY 1975 HULL # 454

1st mate to www.theboatbabe.com
    Blog: www.weliveonthesa.com

On mine, the entry port to the chain locker is a bit farther away from the windlass, thereby reducing the angle of the chain as it comes off the wildcat. So, I think your idea of raising the entry port, will serve the same purpose. I think your chain maybe binding as it comes of the wildcat due to the sharp angle.
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Finally fixed the jamming problem, raised the opening of the chain pipe and rebuilt the tube inside the chain locker getting rid of the old hose and PVC tube. Now the ABS chain pipe drops the chain into the locker faster with less friction, and the chain pipe opening is even with the plane of rotation of the wildcat. After all the work I ran 350' of chain back into the boat without a jam. Success!!IMG_9373.jpgWIndlass before.jpgIMG_9386.jpg
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

I have a nearly identical galley maid windlass and the hawsepipe is raised. Occasionally the chain piles up too high and requires opening the hatch and picking the pile down

I don’t have a chain stripper on mine. Comes off fine with it it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat