Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a 38 to 40 DC

We are looking to get a 38 to 40 double cabin, hopefully soon but we will try to be patient to find the right boat. Our preference would be a 38 Flybridge DC (70s) and we are flexible on the lower station being included or not. We would also consider an 80's 40 DC. We may also even consider a smaller one such as a 34 DC if in excellent shape. We are not married to diesels and would happily consider a gas boat. We are also open to boats in need of engine rebuild or repowering in the not too distant future, so long as the boat is in good shape and well maintained. Preferably something in the Great Lakes as we boat from Bayfield, WI. Please PM if you have leads.
    Last edited by ernesto; 07-30-2021 at 06:20 PM.

Re: Looking for a 38 to 40 DC

I have a 1985 43MY
    Recent Survey
    Twin Cat 3208
    Northern Lights generator
    Stabilizer, Autopilot, dual nav systems, dual radios, Solar system runs refridgerator and External Ice maker full time and numerous outlets w/sine wave inverter, Water Maker, fuel polishing system, New Props and zincs, loaded with spare parts, filters ect.
    New hardwood floors, All New Enclosure for flybrigde and Aft Deck with sunshaded material, New furniture in Salon, Rear deck
    AB rib dingy w/2019 25 hp Yamaha
    This is truly one of the finest boats you will find.
    It is located in Merritt Island Florida
    I am a new member of this forum and would like it to go to someone that can appreciate it
    If you have any interest I can send detailed photos and answer any questions
    Regards
    Fred

Thanks for the note Fred. That might be a stretch... probably on the big side for us, and more importantly really far away. I'll send a PM though because you just never know. Thanks.

Anyone have thoughts on this vessel? Or previous knowledge of it? Very high hours (1900 listed) on the 427s, and sounds like the generator has issues. Not used much in the past two years... But it has a good out of water survey from last year. We are planning to go see it in a week. Fuel tanks reportedly replaced (stainless). I'll know a lot more after seeing it in person. Looks like just the boat for us in many ways, but I imagine it may need a serious rebuild or repower very soon.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...cabin-3534199/

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on this vessel? Or previous knowledge of it? Very high hours (1900 listed) on the 427s, and sounds like the generator has issues. Not used much in the past two years... But it has a good out of water survey from last year. We are planning to go see it in a week. Fuel tanks reportedly replaced (stainless). I'll know a lot more after seeing it in person. Looks like just the boat for us in many ways, but I imagine it may need a serious rebuild or repower very soon.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...cabin-3534199/
    I have not seen the boat but it looks like a very nice freshwater boat by the photos. I doubt you'll find one better cosmetically.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

1,900 hours wouldn't worry me too much if they check out ok. Those engines are quite robust. She looks like a nice value.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Well, if you decide to buy it and install diesels, those 427 Ford blocks will be worth something to someone building a Cobra replica. Although one of them will be reverse rotation...

jealous of what a freshwater boat looks like.
    the 427's are beasts but you won't be cruising at 18 knots like it claims.
    20/21 is wot, cruising is a more sedate 14 or so.
    interesting conversion in the aft stateroom to the wider berth.
    claims 1 300 gallon fuel, which if true would put it all under the stb berth.
    which isnt all that bad i guess, maybe evens out the genny being on the port.
    original, it a 150+ under each berth.

very comfortable boat for a family.

i just reread your post and saw stainless fuel tank.
    i dont know anyone who went that way when were forced to abandon our glass tanks.
    mainly for the shear expense.
    the on engine piping is stainless too. they were originally copper.
    as far as rebuilding, if you ever go that route make sure you use someone who is very familiar with the ford fe engines.
    all ill say is they are quirky.
    Last edited by UNIQUE_NAME; 08-16-2021 at 06:40 PM.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUE_NAME View Post
    jealous of what a freshwater boat looks like.
    the 427's are beasts but you won't be cruising at 18 knots like it claims.
    20/21 is wot, cruising is a more sedate 14 or so.
    interesting conversion in the aft stateroom to the wider berth.
    claims 1 300 gallon fuel, which if true would put it all under the stb berth.
    which isnt all that bad i guess, maybe evens out the genny being on the port.
    original, it a 150+ under each berth.

very comfortable boat for a family.

i just reread your post and saw stainless fuel tank.
    i dont know anyone who went that way when were forced to abandon our glass tanks.
    mainly for the shear expense.
    the on engine piping is stainless too. they were originally copper.
    as far as rebuilding, if you ever go that route make sure you use someone who is very familiar with the ford fe engines.
    all ill say is they are quirky.
    The listing says 1 300 gallon, but the seller told me 2 150 gallon tanks.

As far as rebuilding... I think my interest would be in re-powering (with gas). I'd just like to get a season or two out of these, mainly because I can't even get a call back from places that could do a repower job.

The owner already told me the genny on this boat was not operational, so I'll want to learn more about that as well.

I really appreciate the input... We're going to see the boat in person (on the hard) this Saturday morning, so I'll know a lot more then!

that makes more sense with them keeping the second twin bed in the aft cabin.
    the genny is probably the original 6.5 onan. parts are scarce and expensive or non-existent.
    with the internet the 427's are serviceable motors, meaning you can get parts.
    you wont be able to walk into your local auto parts store and ask for parts.
    9 out of 10 will insist its a 427 chevy motor.
    big ticket marinization parts, like risers and exhaust manifolds are out of production.
    there are guys who will custom make the risers for you.
    farmingdale LI has one, thats where mine came from.

my friend has the 74 model with merc 454/330hp motors and has the same performance.
    repowering: you will not be able to get the motors in or out of the boat with breaking them down.
    i cut a hole in the flybridge and the yard lifted it out when i rebuild my port engine.
    sounds worse that it was and saved me having to breakdown and reassemble it inside after running it on the hard.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN