Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Advice on fitting the transom mounted fish finder transducer

I am planning on buying a Garmin Stryker Vivid Clear View 7" Fishfinder. I have an old Furuno FCV 667 Depth sounder/ Fish Finder which is very good for depth measurement, but unable to identify any fish.

I have looked at YouTube videos for transducer installation but all are mainly for trailable boats with outboard engines. I also do not want to haul out the boat just to mount the transducer.

Can anyone chip in with some suggestions on the best location and method of fitting the transom mounted transducer on my 37 Convertible. Also, will the transom mounted transducer get affected by high speed and prop wash?

Would I be better of by buying in-hull transducer/fishfinder? Are those any good for finding fish, as I am perfectly happy with the depth sounder I have and want fishfinder only. Is it possible to use original through hull transducer with newer technology display that will identify fish?
    Last edited by brico; 07-28-2021 at 09:02 PM.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: Advice on fitting the transom mounted fish finder transducer

When your at anchor, may be the only time your transom fish finder will work on the transom.
    You have to imagine what that water looks like compressed, washed and full of foam. Getting around the trim tabs, then the prop wash gives you little to work with.
    There are inside mounted ducers that shoot thru the solid hull. Still subject to smooth water flow under the hull but ahead of the struts it is a little smother.

The better ducers are thru hull mounted, protruding past the hull bottom a few inches and the better ones start at 1000w.

How serious do you want to see fish.
    What are the specs of your existing ducer? It may work with a better sounder module.

A real dealer may be able to further help also.

Re: Advice on fitting the transom mounted fish finder transducer

A transom mounted-transducer is not gonna work. Like Capt. Ralph said there is just too much going on behind a bigger boat. They are only marginally useful on smaller boats.

If you can find the model number on your existing transducer (usually on a tag attached to the cable about 2 -3 feet from the top of the transducer) you should be able to cross reference it with the compatibility chart on the website of either the transducer manufacturer or the fish finder manufacturer. I would bet that it is an Airmar brand transducer.

https://airmar.com/xref.html

They make about 80% or more of the transducers for the various head unit manufacturers (Garmin, Raymarine, Simrad, etc) . They just supply an adapter cable that has a connector that matches the configuration of the head unit it's connecting to on one end and their universal connector on the other end. If the transducer itself is compatible, it would then just be a matter of getting a cable with the appropriate connector for your new unit.
    Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 07-28-2021 at 11:33 PM.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida