Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aqua Maps

Aqua Maps

I am a west coaster but am going to do a lot of cruising on the east coast in the ICW with our second boat. Do any of you use the Aqua Maps and are they worthwhile. Also how about Navionics charts. Thanks, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Aqua Maps

We ran with both AquaMaps and Navionics running on iPads. The strongpoint of Navionics is their route planning, the strongpoint of AquaMaps is their Army Corps of Engineers survey data. It’s nice to have both to reference. The Furuno was the gold standard, but I usually followed the iPads in practice.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

3. Re: Aqua Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    We ran with both AquaMaps and Navionics running on iPads. The strongpoint of Navionics is their route planning, the strongpoint of AquaMaps is their Army Corps of Engineers survey data. It’s nice to have both to reference. The Furuno was the gold standard, but I usually followed the iPads in practice.
    Same here, and if you run ICW, the COE data is invaluable.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by captainwjm View Post
    Same here, and if you run ICW, the COE data is invaluable.
    Their notes on where dredging needs to be?

Sadly USACE knows where work needs to be done. They advise often on the work.
    I'm afraid to use the east coast ditch that has not been maintained as forecasted since the 40s.
    That barge traffic infrastructure plan (from a few years back) died quickly also.
    Stay off shore and come in the better ports for fuel.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 07-28-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Agreed ICW can be tough. On a trip now and Aqua Maps is way better with ACOE turned on.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks for the replies. Luckily my new boat only draws 3 feet 8 inches, which should help.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I like Aquamap especially for the Bahamas where they use explorer charts. Navionics in the Bahamas is a mess.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Put me down as a big Aqua Maps fan. I got the premium service which shows the corp surveys. Definetly has kept me out of some trouble

Have to second Aqua Maps. Handy and installed on a cheap Android tablet with GPS, so I run updates when I am in the marina. Used it crossing Okeechobee last summer and it was dead on. There's an odd discrepancy in the Miserable Mile here in between Ft Myers and Sanibel, where it jumps out of the channel for a few minutes but the channel is well marked - It seemed like it just needed to catch it's breath. We have the master service with USACE info, and it's nice. It also has route planning at that level. Price is great, only issue I have is you have to manually select charts to update even though "update all" is available. A lot cheaper than updating my Furuno for $350.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL