Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old Tecumseh Cruisair compressor turns off after an hour will restart after long time

I have a decent working knowledge of my old AC unit.
    It does not seem to be kicking off on high pressure, I have decent water flow, I know what compressor sounds like if the water stops flowing, and it is not like that.

The compressor just turns off. It feels warm and you can keep your hand on the compressor, so it is not super hot, maybe 125 to 130 degrees by feel.
    The compressor does have a high temp cut off, they may call it a klixon, but need to know, is that inside the compressor or outside the compressor where the 3 wires go into the clipped on plastic cover? Amp draw on the line is anywhere from 12 to 13 amps, when compressor shuts off, amp draw is around 2 to 2.5 amps. (fan and water pump keep running)

Otherwise it cools ok, we are having very hot weather, mid 90's.
    Could the run capacitor be failing. Connections are good. It starts and runs fine, just the shutting down issue.
    here is the basic machine from a few years ago.
    My plan is to clean out the coil with with vinegar poured in and sit for a few days.
    And maybe take off the wire cover and see if a klixon is there and failing. If it has a replaceable klixon, does anyone know the part number?

Re: Old Tecumseh Cruisair compressor turns off after an hour will restart after long

All marine ac’s made in the last 50 years essentially have the same shutdown switches, it’s high pressure, low pressure, heat, voltage, and that’s usually it. If you are 100% sure there is nothing physically wrong with the unit, then find out what switch is tripping and replace it. There is a 1980’s cruisair diagnostic manual for the old r22 units floating around the internet, google it and you will find it, it’s incredibly helpful and has detailed troubleshooting steps.

Re: Old Tecumseh Cruisair compressor turns off after an hour will restart after long

yes, a manual would be useful.
    The klixon goes on the side of the compressor where the wires enter.
    I ran it today till it shut off the compressor. Measure and it was open circuit, should never do that.
    It is a motor protection device that measures amps and temp of the compressor shell.

here is what it looks like
    If you wait a while, the compressor restarts.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    yes, a manual would be useful.
    The klixon goes on the side of the compressor where the wires enter.
    I ran it today till it shut off the compressor. Measure and it was open circuit, should never do that.
    It is a motor protection device that measures amps and temp of the compressor shell.

here is what it looks like
    If you wait a while, the compressor restarts.
    $34 plus shipping.

BAE37880-A1EE-402A-B420-3989AB9DB049.jpg

02004912-967C-49AB-8AC4-3165518BCAA6.jpg

Give it a shot. If that doesn’t fix it (probably will) you have an actual overtemp problem and need to acid clean the lines. The place that sells those is called carbonbrush dot com.
    Last edited by cww; 07-31-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Compressors may run hot. But real hot when low on freon and keep running and trip the over-temp switch.
    It may be just a bit low but the low pressure switch (if you have one) may not be cutting it off, (or is it?).
    Can you squirt a bit of R22 in there? You should feel the return (larger of the two) line cool/cold just before it hits the compressor can.

I tested the KLIXON using my clampon ampmeter, a toaster, and a heat gun. It seems to be ok.
    Did not click off even when 17.76 amps ran thru it for 10 minutes. I then directed the heat gun on it, and when temp hit 220, it had clicked off. Took 5 minutes to get enough heat into it to do that. Running on 17.6 amps, it barely got warm. So I knew then for certain it was shutting down due to heat.

Cleaning the sea water condenser worked. It no longer shuts off the compressor.
    However the system is a little low on charge. Compressor is drawing only 9 amps...

Reason a low charge causes higher compressor temp, the incoming refrigerant in the suction line serves to cool the compressor motor.

I measured the shell compressor temp with my digital meter and it reads 155*F. That may or may not be too high. What is the normal shell temp of the compressor?

The Klixon temp under the cover was about 148* F, and it stayed on. The cleaning of the coil really helped. I will take it down, and do some work on the thing in a month when it cools off outside.
    The reason it has a very slow leak, the suction valve has been abused by PO(s), as some one used vice grips on the stem valve and marred it, maybe also some rust, and then when it was moved down, it likely chewed the seal somewhat. It does have a valve cap, one is plastic, one metal, not sure which is better. Anyone know where you can get replacement caps?
    Please dont use vicegrips to turn the valves on these units.
    If you dont have the right wrench, you can use a TAP handle, it works great.
    f

picture test

pictures work, here are some more
    klixon is just a thermal circuit breaker
    klixon amp and temp test, right before it blew, heat from gun was flowing towards the klixon, for 5 minutes, then it went open.
    I took apart this old power strip, and put the klixon in as the breaker.

klixon amp test

I am going to switch from mineral oil to POE oil. I have been reading very good things about POE, ester oil. it is a superior, holds up to heat better, lubricates better, seals better. Maybe it will stop the very slow leak on that valve. Leak is so slow, it takes 2 years before it needs some more refrigerant, I had forgotten about the valve seal issue.

I have drained oil from other compressors, this one cant be much different. To put in new oil, you suck it in. As in with drained compressor, use a hose in the oil bottle, turn on compressor, and suck it in.

I think it takes slightly more than 2 cups of oil.
    Oil use is 512cc POE for the replacement compressor
    AKA5512EXA (tecumseh.com)
    an
    d POE is a very good cleaner, so make sure you have a good filter drier on the compressor. I changed mine to one that uses a flare connector.

R22:Mise en page 1 (tecumseh.com)
    Last edited by sdowney717; 07-31-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Compressors may run hot. But real hot when low on freon and keep running and trip the over-temp switch.
    It may be just a bit low but the low pressure switch (if you have one) may not be cutting it off, (or is it?).
    Can you squirt a bit of R22 in there? You should feel the return (larger of the two) line cool/cold just before it hits the compressor can.
    low temp cut off not on the old unit. Would be nice to have that, do you have a part number where it could added on? I am pretty sure it is low.