Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Recommendation for a diesel mechanic

Sold the house in NC and purchased a home on the ICW in Flagler Beach but dock is in a wake zone so the boat will live in St Augustine. I'm really going to miss my mechanic in Wilmington. Looking for recommendations for a diesel mechanic in the area. Repowered with QSM11's so knowledge of these motors would be very helpful.
    Last edited by Sea Horse; 07-28-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Re: Recommendation for a diesel mechanic

Don’t waste your time looking for a good one in the Daytona - Saint Auggie corridor, they all suck. There’s one - and I really mean one - who’s any good, his name is Chris Brown in Ormond Beach, and he’s great if you can get him. He’s usually so busy because everybody knows that everybody else around here sucks, that it’s like a 4+ month lead time whenever something breaks. If you run the boat up to Jacksonville all of the major marinas, Huckins, Lambs, etc., have qualified diesel mechanics on staff and you’ll have no issues getting service. Daytona/Palm Coast is really something else with boat repairs, I could tell you a bunch of hair raising stories.

Edited to add - there’s one other who really knows his stuff named Ken Ruse, the reason I didn’t mention him before is I heard he had a heart attack and it was unclear if he was taking any jobs. PM me I don’t think you’re allowed to put people’s numbers on here, I’ll give you both their numbers. Be prepared for long lead times on both though. Crazy times we’re living in, courtesy of the pandemic a dying sport just became popular again and it’s really starting to show.
    Last edited by cww; 07-31-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Ken is a great detroit guy but in his 70's I'm not sure he's taking on much these days.

I've heard heard horror stories about some jax mechanics. I'd look for a cummins facility in the area. Many times the local guys are not able to do things right.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

What service do you need?

Wow that’s honest but not very encouraging. At present we are in Montauk NY getting ready to head south to St. Augustine in about two weeks. Not getting any younger and many of the repairs I would normally tackle myself I’ve been having my mechanic in NC handle. If I have to I can do all of my basic service work but didn’t want to wait until I have a problem to start to scramble for a mechanic and thought I would reach out to get a recommendation. Think the comment about using a Cummins dealer mechanic may be my choice although I hate to pay dealer prices for things that any qualified diesel guy can handle.
    I’m spoiled with so many qualified people in the area of NC we lived, but moving to Fl will require finding new everything from home service people to marine repair folks.

The sad part is, Old DDC guys are dying off.
    The young replacement techs look for a lap-top port to plug into.

I do the light work on mine and some customers.
    My DD heavy crew is booked for 3+ months solid now. So when a head needs to come off, some boats are down.

I would call Chris and quickly chat whit him when you arrive.
    There are some between Jax and New Smyrna you do not want near your boat at all.

Guess I should have mentioned I’m re powered with Cummins QSM 11’s

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Horse View Post
    Guess I should have mentioned I’m re powered with Cummins QSM 11’s
    All Power Pro in Fernandina Beach, FLORIDA 32034
    Cummins Power South, Jacksonville, FLORIDA 32220
    Davidson's Marine Service, Green Cove Springs, FLORIDA 32043

Typing this slow in case it's not readable;
    Do not go to Lambs Yacht Center.
    Do not ever call a kid named Brian.

Aaron Vanderwerf [COLOR=var(--primary-text)](561) 222-1032[/COLOR]he has worked on my detroits ALOT, he loves them,!! used to work for CAT and knows his stuff, he's in port St Lucie
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears