Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Simrad EVO2 Radar/Chartplotter Misalignment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I do know the answer and cannot wait to deep six this Simrad crap.
    Let me know before this happens please.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Let me know before this happens please.
    And deny me that satisfying "glub glub glub"?

Reading the other thread about getting the starter off the Onan MDJE (my old genny) made me recall just how satisfying that sound is. I drained the oil and antifreeze and made structure out of it.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Was just thinking, Radar zero degree alignment not preformed?

The radar seems to pick up targets accurately. In the first pics I posted, the target on my heading is displayed where it should be. Only the waypoint is located incorrectly on the radar screen. When I run in overlay mode the radar returns appear away from the corresponding chart items.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Then I think you need to ensure radar bearing is perfect. After that, sounds like your flux gate needs re-initializing. A COG and heading disagreement will cause the problem you’re experiencing. The COG, most likely, will be correct as it’s generated by GPS. It’s possible your compass is picking up some ferrous metal or stray current. For example, I found a 13 degree flux gate swing just by energizing my port engine ignition circuit. Moved the compass and right on track.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I guess I have to find the damn thing. It's probably under a bunk in the master - that's where it was in my 43, but I haven't traced anything just yet. I'll be back out there this weekend and will check it out. I'm really not sure how to re-initialize it.

Recall the compass is menu driven, who cares where the compass is unless your looking to make sure no tools, spares, golf shoes are stacked on top of it.
    Center the radar is also menu driven.
    You can download the user and install guides from Simrad also.

Well, thanks guys. The recalibration solved the course alignment problem. Heading vs CTS seem correct now.

Of course it is Simrat after all so a new problem appeared 5 min later. I'll put that in the next thread.