Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

The NEXT Simrat problem

Well, thankfully the compass recalibration solved my course misalignment problem, but of course a new problem showed up 5 min later.

I glanced at the water temp on the sounder and it read 44.5 degrees. I shut down and restarted but it had no effect so I did some digging and figured out where to adjust the temp setting. Not knowing the exact temp I took a guess and added +30 degrees to the 44.5 that was showing. Now it reads 99.9 degrees. I went back in to apply a -25 degree adjustment and found that it only had a 1 digit field available to use. The format somehow changed from xx.x to x.x. WTF? I applied an adjustment of -9.9 and it had no effect on the displayed reading.

Any suggestions other than the obvious solution of buying a Furuno system?
    ​​​​​​​
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: The NEXT Simrat problem

I have a suggestion: Buy a GARMIN system.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Bob, glad the compass solution worked. Have you done a hard reboot of the depth system? I had an almost identical issue with my temp twice in the past. Killing the power while the unit was up caused it to return to its previous setting. BUT, that was a Raymarine unit.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Well, believe it or not after spending a perfectly good Saturday afternoon digging through menus, I found the solution.

All I had to do was...

Menu button
    Settings
    Network
    Calibration
    Advanced
    Sea Temperature Offset

That gave me the 3 digit field (xx.x) to work with. Oh yea, I had to adjust the temp by trial and error, as the Simrat computer can't seem to do arithmetic correctly. Adding 20 degrees to 44.5 yielded a result of 99.5. I was trying to get to 74.5. I tried several smaller adjustments until I got down to +1.6 and it displayed the correct 74.5 degree temperature.

Here's the other approach, which only gives a 2 position (x.x) field:

Menu button
    Settings
    Echo
    Installation
    Adjust Sea Temperature

Theres nothing like a computer that cant do math correctly or provide the same sized data entry field in two separate place to give you confidence in your system.

By the way, not that it really matters, but I programmed computers for the first 25 years of my career, so I find this particularly frustrating.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I'm simrad equipped and can't figure out how to set an anchor alarm...
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"