Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Simrad EVO2 Radar/Chartplotter Misalignment

My new 45C has Simrad EVO2 electronics. I've been experiencing a significant misalignment problem between the chartplotter course and the Radar Course To Steer line. In the following pics (sorry about the quality - I was running the boat while taking them) I have set a course to a point just east of the Lords Passage buoy off Fishers Island. That shows on the chartplotter screen. On the radar screen, I am navigating directly toward the buoy - it is the blip in my heading line. The course to steer line wants me to steer well to the left of the buoy, despite the fact that the waypoint is well to the right of the buoy. I have the latest software available installed and have done a hard reset of the system. Any suggestions other than the obvious one (call Scott and buy a Furuno system)?

20210723_120605.jpg
    20210723_120602.jpg
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Simrad EVO2 Radar/Chartplotter Misalignment

Later at the dock, I set a course to a waypoint across the river from me, at the foot of the dock at the marina there. The radar wants me to steer well to the left of the target. By the way, the radar returns are accurate. In the pic above on the first post, I am running directly toward the buoy and it appears properly on my heading. Here's the pics from at my dock:

The crosshairs on the radar screen are approximately where the waypoint on the charplotter is.

20210723_192645.jpg
    20210723_192648.jpg
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Probably a stupid question, but could this be a true North vs. magnetic setting issue? Or, chart datum set incorrectly?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I doubt that its a compass (T vs M) issue, and I'm not technical enough to know much about the chart datum.

You know the answer.

Although if you call I may know what needs to be changed.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Maybe it’s the antenna or the elect compass. Move the antenna/compass until it lines up then see how it is in real-time.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

It doesn’t seem to be a compass or heading issue. It looks to me like your waypoints are not where they should be on your radar screen. It s pretty clear on the second example. I don’t think it’s a datum or offset issue as if that was the case you would notice your position would be off on the plotter.

Not familiar if you put your radar cursor on the waypoint shown on the radar screen, does it show the same coordinate as the WP on the plotter?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Unplug all SimNet/N2K from the box.
    This will help determine if its in the box or coming in remotely.
    When it clears, plug your SimNet/N2K devices in one at a time.
    I have a feeling a weather station or extra heading sensor is messing you up.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 07-26-2021 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks guys. I just got home from pulling the boat to get the props worked on.

Pascal, I'm not sure. The system is new to me and I don't remember if the crosshairs move in sync with one another. My old Raymarine did. I'll check that when I'm back at the boat. Same with Ralph's suggestions. I won't be able to try til next weekend. Appreciate the input. And yes, Scott, I do know the answer and cannot wait to deep six this Simrad crap.

I’m no expert on this but I run surveying instruments in the Gulf of Mexico. Our magnetic declination here is only a degree or so. I found a declination at an airport near you and it was 13 degrees! You might need to play with some of your digital compass settings.