Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bang. BANG!

Bang. BANG!

Two sounds you don't want to hear while crossing Block Island Sound at the start of a 3 day offshore trip to the canyons. First bang was the log hitting the bow. Second BANG was it hitting the stbd prop. New record for shortest edge trip ever. Turned around and limped back to Westerly. I'm having her pulled Monday and hoping its only a prop and not a strut or shaft. Ughh.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Bang. BANG!

SO sorry. Sad way to end a trip before it started. Been there, tho.

As you said, I hope it's not a shaft or a strut. @$#%! logs...

Fishing Block Island Sound on Thursday am. Heading from Montauk to the SW Ledge. Bang for me too. Log never popped up and no damage to the props. Thought perhaps I hit a whale since the log was never seen. Must be a lot of debris out there. I was cruising at 25 kts when I hit it. Pretty scary.

Well, that stinks. Hopefully it's minimal.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Way back in the day we were fishing a tournament out of Montauk with the 34. Running out to the fishtails about 12nm offshore one of those no sun gray overcast mornings. A packing crate pops up between waves and we hit it with the starboard prop. We limp back in and as we’re pulling into Montauk I see this seaplane landing in the harbor. We pull up to I think it was Montauk marine basin. And the travel lift is already waiting for us. My dad had called them on the am radio from offshore (no VHF back then) and asked them if they could find us a prop. Apparently the owner of the prop shop in Essex Conn had a seaplane and flew it over to us. We were back in the water in an hour. I was probably 13 and it’s one of those life events I’ll never forget.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Thanks, guys. I think the math works like this: (21kts * 45,000#) + log(floating) = $$$$$$$
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

You forgot to cube the $

Looks like the debris is moving SE. a week ago Wednesday coming in I whacked a submerged log 1.5nm off sugar reef. Both wheels off and at hale. Heard of someone else hitting something a couple of days ago also. Lots of crap out there with all that rain. Where’s that seaplane when i need it?

Props are off. Looks like the log hit the port shaft and slid down hitting the port prop (moved the zinc 4" down the shaft). From there it somehow got sucked into the stbd prop. Stbd has worse damage than port, but both are repairable, and no obvious damage to the shafts or struts. Could have been worse.

My prop shop just called in for a credit card number after my July 6 clobber coming back from St Augustine. I'll know the number tomorrow when shipping is included. Probably over $4k.
    Lets compare notes and maybe I'll find another prop shop your way.