Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salon helm a/c access?

Our salon helm a/c unit has a plugged drain. Based on what I found cleaning the forward stateroom a/c's drain, I need to get to the area behind the evaporator fan. So far, no luck. I thought that it might be accessible from the left side of the main electrical panel but a quick check after opening it up shows that there is no planned access. I've also carefully examined the top and the front for removable panels with no luck. How do you gain access to this unit? Surely they didn't just seal it into the cabinetry.
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391

Re: Salon helm a/c access?

Mine being a 1970 had the panel in the ER so access to the AH was simple. Have you checked in the galley above the fridge?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've looked there. I thought that there might be an access panel in the back of the over fridge cabinet but I don't see any obvious screws, etc. for removing the back. It would seem logical, though.
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    I've looked there. I thought that there might be an access panel in the back of the over fridge cabinet but I don't see any obvious screws, etc. for removing the back. It would seem logical, though.
    You might have to cut your own access panel in that area. Not saying that’s where it is but I don’t see any other area to access.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Any clue where it drains. Maybe a lil water or air pressure up to it will clear the plug.
    How do you clean the evap air filters?

On our 57 yachtfish, the drain hose comes through the floor at the opening for the electrical wiring. This brings the hose down into the engine room to the seachest on port wall. We have removed all the a/c units as they were dead and tubing was corroded right through. To remove that unit, i had to remove a bunch of stuff. - Upper trim, need to remove three screws under wood plugs - Remove corner moulding. Mine was nailed and fairly easy to remove. - remove grille to get access to screws on left side. Three long screws if i remember right. - Remove whole wood panel. That should give you access to the a/c unit. Not sure how easily you can get to the drain pan to clear the blockage. I would try blowing air or water through the hose from the engine room before taking apart all that stuff.

The condensate drains at the manifold/ sea chest in the port side engine room. Remove the hose from the fitting. If no water is evident, blow into the hose. It will displace the crap in the hose and allow it to drain until you find a way to get at the actual drain pan to clean it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mannshardt View Post
    The condensate drains at the manifold/ sea chest in the port side engine room. Remove the hose from the fitting. If no water is evident, blow into the hose. It will displace the crap in the hose and allow it to drain until you find a way to get at the actual drain pan to clean it out.
    Thanks. I previously looked for that hose to do as you suggested. When you say manifold/sea chest, exactly what are you referring to and where is it? I have been looking for a hose that goes to the bilge. BTW, I've done a little more exploring of how to disassemble the cabinetry around the a/c unit. Not pretty. Major work.
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391

click on the pdf file. sorry it uploaded twice.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Oldlaxer1; 08-11-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    Our salon helm a/c unit has a plugged drain. Based on what I found cleaning the forward stateroom a/c's drain, I need to get to the area behind the evaporator fan. So far, no luck. I thought that it might be accessible from the left side of the main electrical panel but a quick check after opening it up shows that there is no planned access. I've also carefully examined the top and the front for removable panels with no luck. How do you gain access to this unit? Surely they didn't just seal it into the cabinetry.
    On my '86 53MY the access to the back of the salon AC is from the cabinet above and to the right of the refrigerator.
    Doug Troughton
    1986 Hatteras 53 MY
    Hull# HATAM635H586