Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Washer/Dryer Removal

Has anyone removed the W/D combo? How do you get it up the stairs? I'm considering
    disassembly and removal piece at a time. But then how do you get the new one in?
    Same way?

Re: Washer/Dryer Removal

I helped a friend take the washer and dryer out through the forward hatch.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have done it twice , this first replacement lasted 14 years. Disassembled the old one to remove it . Disassembled the new one in the salon. Took the pieces down and reassembled.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

As Rusty said on the 53 MY they will just fit through the forward hatch. We used our small boat crane at our Yacht Club and it was surprisingly easy, old out new in in about a half an hour. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I used my sawzall. Got it out in little over an hour in multiple pieces.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Bummer. Ok. I may give the forward hatch a try - hadn't considered that. I think the new one will have to be taken down in pieces and installed on site.

THanks all!

We took the previous apart, which wasn't hard, and brought the new ones through the forward hatch, which also wasn't hard. We built a gantry with 2x4s and lowered them down using a hand winch from harbor freight. We used the same 2x4s as a ramp and the hand winch to bring them up from the dock onto the forward deck. The washer is the heavy item.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by neildeb2 View Post
    Bummer. Ok. I may give the forward hatch a try - hadn't considered that. I think the new one will have to be taken down in pieces and installed on site.

THanks all!
    My stacked unit was taken out before I took command of her. Wanted a replacement & ended up putting a "Deca" all in one. Small loads but had option to vent or non-vent it. I vented as speeds up drying time. So far its been put to good use. Brought down through stairwell no problem whole. Also made shelf 18" above deck and now have storage room under unit. Paneled around inside w/ 1/8" oak paneling for ascetics. Good luck w/ your install!
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.

+1 for the Sawzall! If it is a thintwin, it doesn't come apart like you think it should.

Quote Originally Posted by neildeb2 View Post
    Has anyone removed the W/D combo? How do you get it up the stairs? I'm considering
    disassembly and removal piece at a time. But then how do you get the new one in?
    Same way?
    I'm the friend Rusty Speaks of... I've posted on this before here...

The combo unit came out in pieces... I just had no choice... it was a rusted mess.

Including a few photos--- both the old pieces, and the new units came in through the forward hatch... the stairs and galley bulkhead are too narrow.

You MUST Remove the trim around the interior of the forward hatch.

Crane and Clothers Washer.jpg Washer abaord Chartmaker.jpg Washer Dryer Closet.jpg

I also had to install an isolation transformer to get the dryer to run. We do not have isolation transformers on Chartmaker already, and they're getting increasing hard to find for 50AMP service at 220-230V. I bought a 30A Unit and placed it on the washer and dryer circuit only. It actually sits behind the washer and dryer. I did have to Marinize the unit I bought with proper electrical terminations.

I still have the remaining trim to put back together and spif up the installation with isolation rubber matts, but you get the jist I think.

Rusty was there when we did the refrigerator too! His middle name is adventure.

Cheers!
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com