Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Starter removal on a 7.5 Onan mdje on a 1980 43DC

The starter bendix on our generator has decided to give up the ghost. Have any of you very knowledgeable folks removed and replace the starter?, any hints. It is on our 1980 43DCFB and the original installation puts the sound enclosure right up against the forward bulkhead in the engine compartment without enough room to remove it. I have been working mostly by feel and am down to I think just the two bolts on the starter nose and hoping to be able to wiggle the starter out. I really don't want to remover the generator and slide it aft as there are copper fuel lines and the all wiring that would need to be disconnected.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Re: Starter removal on a 7.5 Onan mdje on a 1980 43DC

You answered your own question. How will you inspect the flywheel and check the new starter without seeing it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Hello,

I have removed my starter, but not how you are going to try. Mine is up against the aft bulkhead in my 42. Getting it off is on thing (gravity) but reinstall is tough because you cant get enough hands in to do the work. Save the headache a move it if you can. It will not slide easily because of the rubber feet so block it up under the oilpan with 2x4s, this will let it move. Its heavy so be ready. Just so you know, getting the mounting feet to line up afterwards can be time consuming. If its possible to just swing it away on the engine end this should let you in to work. You will be hot, sweaty and relieved when your finished.

Walt Hoover

I replaced my starter last year, and it wasn’t all that bad. Disassemble the sound enclosure including the end panel to make all the room you can. Mounting bolts come right out as I recall, although I may have had to use a u-joint on one. There’s “plenty” of room to inspect anything you want with a mirror and good flashlight. To reinstall, make “guide bolts” by cutting the heads off 3 carriage bolts that are longer than the mounting bolts (I think they were M8’s maybe). Slide the gasket on, then the starter. Remove the carriage bolts one at a time, replacing with the mounting bolts.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    I replaced my starter last year, and it wasn’t all that bad. Disassemble the sound enclosure including the end panel to make all the room you can. Mounting bolts come right out as I recall, although I may have had to use a u-joint on one. There’s “plenty” of room to inspect anything you want with a mirror and good flashlight. To reinstall, make “guide bolts” by cutting the heads off 3 carriage bolts that are longer than the mounting bolts (I think they were M8’s maybe). Slide the gasket on, then the starter. Remove the carriage bolts one at a time, replacing with the mounting bolts.
    Thanks, I will be back at the boat maybe tomorrow, I still need to remove the starboard side end surround panel, and the three bolts that hold the starter and spacer , and am hoping that the starter will be able to be fit out either end.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Starter is out sitting on the bench, it was tight but after removing the end panel of surround and the raw water pump, engine water pump and all associated mounting plates and hoses. also the flywheel shroud the starter came out with a bit of room to spare, plenty of room for reinstalling and checking fit, as suspected the bendix is toast, no damage to flywheel ring gear. Now to source either the bendix or a starter and go back in reverse order, not a easy job but doable.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

I took mine to a automotive starter repair place. They had it fixed in a couple of days and was a reasonable price. Good that you didn't have to remove the mounting bolts in the feet.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I took mine to a automotive starter repair place. They had it fixed in a couple of days and was a reasonable price. Good that you didn't have to remove the mounting bolts in the feet.

Walt Hoover
    Was able to locate a new drive clutch for it from A.S.A.P and will rebuild the starter myself when the part arrives I am reasonably confident that it is the correct part, should have it next day or two.

Advanced Service And Parts LLC1051 E. Cumberland St.
    Lebanon, PA 17042
    Phone: 717-274-9396
    Fax: 877-679-7644
    www.PartsForTechs.com

1910432-A Starter Drive for Onan /Prest
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Job is completed, nothing fun about it at all, I figure I had about 16 hours in the removing and reinstalling the starter and another hour or so rebuilding it, not a job I would wish to have to do again, I envy you guys with real engine rooms. total cost in parts and shipping was $62.55, I figure savings on labor will store the boat this off season ...lol
    Last edited by Jims43DC; 08-05-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI