Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Who can guess the deal with my 8v92s?

I hope these are the right size for my Covington 675hp 892s. If so, I hope they're also what's under the boat.
    They seem a little big for 4 blades, but I haven't called the shop yet to talk about it. The current props have been down there for a decade and I didn't imagine they'd be the wrong size this whole time.

The water quality is SO bad this year at the mouth of the Caloosahatchee, the diver struggles to see anything. I was hoping to put off pulling her out because the bottom paint is pretty good, but something is afoul.

20210821_163120.jpg
    20210821_162916.jpg
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 08-21-2021 at 05:10 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Well, thee problemo is fixed! A young tech came out, opened the valve covers and noticed that AFT rail thingy wasn't able to rotate all the way. It was simply set too tight by whomever last set the rack.

So, 20 minutes after that tech arrived, he said "let's run her." We pulled out into the river and put the hammer down. After years of black schmitt came bellowing out the exhaust around 1,400, the RPMs started climbing and the exhaust cleared.
    Minutes later we were zipping up the river at 20k. My new trim tab pump brought the bow down nicely, despite the tanks being topped-off.

The tech charged my 200 bucks for the morning. That kid is a champ. What a great feeling - to now have everything working on a 52C which was nearly left for dead.
    1984 52C

Cheap and easy fix. Congrats
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Well, thee problemo is fixed! A young tech came out, opened the valve covers and noticed that AFT rail thingy wasn't able to rotate all the way. It was simply set too tight by whomever last set the rack.

So, 20 minutes after that tech arrived, he said "let's run her." We pulled out into the river and put the hammer down. After years of black schmitt came bellowing out the exhaust around 1,400, the RPMs started climbing and the exhaust cleared.
    Minutes later we were zipping up the river at 20k. My new trim tab pump brought the bow down nicely, despite the tanks being topped-off.

The tech charged my 200 bucks for the morning. That kid is a champ. What a great feeling - to now have everything working on a 52C which was nearly left for dead.
    That's great news...
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Thanks fellas. This was the one last dark cloud left hanging over the project.

I've hit every yellow light for weeks, my stocks are all swirling down the bowl and my kid keeps striking out in softball. Now I broke-even on all that with this stroke of luck. I'm so happy about it, I haven't even taken a minute to wonder what was wrong with the previous owner's tech who set the AFT so it couldn't open her up.

Sure, it took until diesel is $6 to get a tech out here...but at least I can burn it fast if so desired. In any case, the aesthetic improvements phase finally begins now. The easy stuff!
    1984 52C

As I’ve said on here before most Detroit problems can be traced back to injectors and sticking racks. They will run hurt and with low compression and make full power as long as the injectors are good and racks set correctly. Tons of people are sold overhauls that don’t need them in situations like yours. Glad you got it going.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post

That is great, Miss-set racks also can easily cause run-aways when they jam in wide open position. Maybe share the guys name and number if he wishes. A shout out to the Tech for free advertisement
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    As I’ve said on here before most Detroit problems can be traced back to injectors and sticking racks. They will run hurt and with low compression and make full power as long as the injectors are good and racks set correctly. Tons of people are sold overhauls that don’t need them in situations like yours. Glad you got it going.
    Indeed. I believe it was your boat's story, about being suggested an overhaul 9k hours ago, was quite inspirational - as I was prepared for the worst. But these 8v92s start and idle and run so nicely, I was pretty sure it was something like it was. Best I can tell, they have just over 1,500 hours of barely-fished use.

And that's what the tech said, too. Something like "overhauls on DDs are completely optional - for when the smoke just gets too bad to tolerate. Everything else I can fix."
    Anybody can PM me for the young feller's name, but I had to wait 3 months for him...mostly does commercial boats.
    1984 52C

I remember you had a big thread going, but what all did you end up having to repair, prior to the next phase beginning?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

If it were me, I'd disconnect one of the throttle linkages at the governor, and manually operate the governor lever, wear a headset and advance it fully, if it goes past 1400, it's an issue with the controls