Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Who can guess the deal with my 8v92s?

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    I could just throw the levers forward and see if the engine throttle lever is most of the way.
    How will you know if they are most of the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    How will you know if they are most of the way?
    Only by disconnecting the cable and pushing that lever manually. At 1,400 the throttle is only 1/3 forward. Of course, if the no load gov is set to 1,400 that won't tell me anything.

I dunno. I'm hoping when I try some of this stuff, the problem will become apparent.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 07-19-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

The PO and captain both told us that with our hynautics we need to pump the throttles 15-20 times with the engines off before starting up then we should get full response from the throttles. The captain we had to have for insurance purposes last year for the Okeechobee transit said he's always heard that from the DD mechanics, and I've actually pumped the throttles before running the engines dockside and noticed that as I get more "pumps" completed, the throttles move more easily and all the way to the stops. I apologize, I didn't read your whole starter post the first time - But maybe try this?
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    The PO and captain both told us that with our hynautics we need to pump the throttles 15-20 times with the engines off before starting up then we should get full response from the throttles. The captain we had to have for insurance purposes last year for the Okeechobee transit said he's always heard that from the DD mechanics, and I've actually pumped the throttles before running the engines dockside and noticed that as I get more "pumps" completed, the throttles move more easily and all the way to the stops. I apologize, I didn't read your whole starter post the first time - But maybe try this?
    Honestly, I've never heard that. 20 times?? I'm usually pretty gentle with them because those little fittings in the handset can knock loose pretty easily - and are a hassle to adjust.

Yeah, the throttles smoothly travel all the way forward at all 3 stations. It looks like they were all replaced when the boat had a total overhaul in 2012/2013...which is nice.

I have to take a couple days off from the boat because I have a big speaking engagement Thursday morning. After 25+ years of public speaking, it still makes me wanna puke.
    1984 52C

Hynautic engine controls (hydraulic)?
    No response to my query.
    This could easily be an issue or part of the issue.

When you push back and forth, The linkage has to be disconnected from the throttle (and clutch if done here).
    If you understand the theory, You want to make full travel in the controls to match the slave actuators. Full travel makes the actuator pistons center up by bottoming out against internal valves.
    This is in the instructions.
    Just rebuilt another set last month.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 07-20-2021 at 10:40 PM.

This is a 10 minute answer, just get somebody to push the throttle on the top of the engine all the way with their hand (with those hynautic controls you maybe have to disconnect it) and watch the tach. If that gives you 2300+ you have your answer.

No load should be 2450 WOT underway should be 2300
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

No response to my query.
    This could easily be an issue or part of the issue.

When you push back and forth, The linkage has to be disconnected from the throttle (and clutch if done here).
    If you understand the theory, You want to make full travel in the controls to match the slave actuators. Full travel makes the actuator pistons center up by bottoming out against internal valves.
    This is in the instructions.
    Just rebuilt another set last month.
    I don't have electronic throttles...standard hydraulics.

I need more friends - because I refuse to run back and forth from the throttle handset to the ER. It'll be so quick with two people. Something fell on my helpful buddy's little toe and he's out of action for awhile.
    I'm hopeful my 10 year-old is up to the task this weekend.

I actually started both engines at the dock last night and revved them both to 1,800+ in neutral. So, something is very odd here.
    We're planning a family weekend on the boat in a week. So, I have that long to figure it out or it'll be at trolling speed, again.
    1984 52C

Have you tried powering up your synch? It shouldn’t matter but.....
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    I don't have electronic throttles...standard hydraulics.

I need more friends - because I refuse to run back and forth from the throttle handset to the ER. It'll be so quick with two people. Something fell on my helpful buddy's little toe and he's out of action for awhile.
    I'm hopeful my 10 year-old is up to the task this weekend.

I actually started both engines at the dock last night and revved them both to 1,800+ in neutral. So, something is very odd here.
    We're planning a family weekend on the boat in a week. So, I have that long to figure it out or it'll be at trolling speed, again.
    You really need to ask somebody, anybody, to just watch the tach, go use your hand on the throttle on top of the engine to give it wot, and see if it’s a different result than you’re getting with your helm controls. They’re really the only common failure point, they have a joint fluid reservoir, both port and starboard would be affected by low fluid, low pressure, or air in the lines.