Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Who can guess the deal with my 8v92s?

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Have you tried powering up your synch? It shouldn’t matter but.....
    Kinda:

I was cruising at about 1k RPM about a month ago. I was testing switches and meant to pull the nav lights switch and pulled the sync switch. The port throttle went limp - just sitting at idle speed. As I moved the starboard lever up or down, the limp port lever was loose and the engine stayed at idle...wouldn't sync with the stbd but couldn't be moved manually.
    Wifey took the helm and I ran down to the ER. The breaker for the sync was off, as always. (I guess it doesn't need to be on for something to catch in the sync??) In a bit of a rush to get back up to the helm, I pushed on the port throttle rod coming out of the sync box. I felt it let go, like it was holding the port throttle magnetically. When I headed back up to the bridge, the port lever was responsive again.

So, last week I started the boat at the dock. Then, I went down and flicked the breaker on for the sync and went back to the bridge. No matter what, it wouldn't engage. I turned the switch on and off at different RPMs and could get the sync to grab at all.

I suppose I have to reset something in the sync box after that episode...or something. Now that I have the weekend, I'll get the manual out and give it a read.

The slide rods in the sync, as well as the cables, are all like new....slide so smooth. There's obviously some problem here based upon the ignorance of the owner and not the boat.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 07-22-2021 at 08:01 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    You really need to ask somebody, anybody, to just watch the tach, go use your hand on the throttle on top of the engine to give it wot, and see if it’s a different result than you’re getting with your helm controls. They’re really the only common failure point, they have a joint fluid reservoir, both port and starboard would be affected by low fluid, low pressure, or air in the lines.
    Ya know, I've had to attend every fluid on the boat...new heads and new steering lines and fresh water...redid them all. Except the throttles! I need to get on that this weekend. The shift has a little too much lag as well.

With all the other stupid stuff done on this boat, I was honestly afraid to push wot at idle because the no-load gov might be incorrectly set. I can just see blowing the heads off with one throw of the lever. So, I'm working around the margins until my knowledgeable friend can get back on the boat.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 07-22-2021 at 08:19 PM.
    1984 52C

Personally I don’t care for the synch. I never reinstall my glendining after the repower as I don’t feel I need it. I synch with the tachs and with the noise of the spray I really can’t hear the typical noise of unsynch’d engines. Still have it stored but I may end up selling it

As to your issue I really think you have a control problem
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Personally I don’t care for the synch. I never reinstall my glendining after the repower as I don’t feel I need it. I synch with the tachs and with the noise of the spray I really can’t hear the typical noise of unsynch’d engines. Still have it stored but I may end up selling it

As to your issue I really think you have a control problem
    Yeah, I'll never use the sync and so they're an unnecessary complication. If you can't hear 892s, it's time for a hearing aid. That thing looks heavy too.

It makes sense it's the controls. I was pushing them forward together but they only went so far - because of a big bubble or lack of pressure. Will soon find out....
    1984 52C

If you run the boat outside the sync is great without it in a following sea or quartering sea the engines are always coming out of sync
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    If you run the boat outside the sync is great without it in a following sea or quartering sea the engines are always coming out of sync
    I agree with rsmith. The sync is paramount in less than favorable conditions. Also in perfect conditions. Why waste time listening and messing with throttles. They didn’t install expensive Glennlenning syncs in almost every late model mechanical diesel powered vessel for no reason. The newer boats with fly by wire have a different approach, but most have some type of sync.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Kinda:

I was cruising at about 1k RPM about a month ago. I was testing switches and meant to pull the nav lights switch and pulled the sync switch. The port throttle went limp - just sitting at idle speed. As I moved the starboard lever up or down, the limp port lever was loose and the engine stayed at idle...wouldn't sync with the stbd but couldn't be moved manually.
    Wifey took the helm and I ran down to the ER. The breaker for the sync was off, as always. (I guess it doesn't need to be on for something to catch in the sync??) In a bit of a rush to get back up to the helm, I pushed on the port throttle rod coming out of the sync box. I felt it let go, like it was holding the port throttle magnetically. When I headed back up to the bridge, the port lever was responsive again.

So, last week I started the boat at the dock. Then, I went down and flicked the breaker on for the sync and went back to the bridge. No matter what, it wouldn't engage. I turned the switch on and off at different RPMs and could get the sync to grab at all.

I suppose I have to reset something in the sync box after that episode...or something. Now that I have the weekend, I'll get the manual out and give it a read.

The slide rods in the sync, as well as the cables, are all like new....slide so smooth. There's obviously some problem here based upon the ignorance of the owner and not the boat.
    I was working on a sync issue a while back. The engines needed to be in gear before they would work. An extra switch box was installed on top of the ZF clutch. Re-centered the arm and all was good, when in gear..
    Nobody has mentioned this, thought it was a Hatteras factory install.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I was working on a sync issue a while back. The engines needed to be in gear before they would work. An extra switch box was installed on top of the ZF clutch. Re-centered the arm and all was good, when in gear..
    Nobody has mentioned this, thought it was a Hatteras factory install.
    I've been working on this. We took the boat away last weekend (at no faster than 11k) and I did several experiments along the short 20nm trip each way.

Now, I think it's an engine problem to port. At 13.5k rpm, the port bogs-down and starts blowing some black smoke. The SB side rises to about 14.5k rpm, but can't go higher. 13k rpm is right where the bow starts rising and I think maybe the SB engine hits a wall because the port side isn't pushing past 13k.
    Does that sound reasonable? For whatever reason, the port can't burn that extra fuel coming in as the bow begins rising and the black smoke comes.
    Both engines zip right up to 2k rpms (I won't slam it forward because I don't trusts whomever set it before) in neutral.

That port engine starts great and clean, stays cool and seems great until 13.5k....when it comes under the stress of coming-up to start planing. The turbos look fine but are now suspect. Blower? Dumping or clogged injector? In any case, this is now way past my pay grade and I have to wait for a mechanic to finally grace me with his presence.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 08-07-2021 at 05:35 PM.
    1984 52C

Turbo
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Turbo
    You're pretty damned good at this. So, why not kick it up a notch?

Is it the front or back turbo??

Getting 4 new turbos is the only engine-related receipt I can find less than 7 years old. (besides basic maintenence) So, my first guess is they weren't right from the start.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 08-07-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    1984 52C