Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Anyone have SF with under gunnel air intakes?

I have a 1984 52c with under gunnel air intakes and have never had an issue.

Mr. Smith brings up an excellent point. We had the local Volvo dealer buying quite a bit of additive because after they did major tune-ups on some of those notorious smokers they'd still get a slight amount of transom sooting and the additive was the last piece of the puzzle. Fuel quality has a lot to do with combustion quality and injector life.

The fuel quality standard in the US is quite low and we're seeing reduced injector life because of it. In addition our customers are seeing improvements in fuel efficiency and cleaner exhaust when using additive.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Injector service intervals are a little more challenging since so much depends on the quality and amount of fuel that goes through them. Unfortunately, nobody brings them to us and tells us how many hours are on them.

When I was at Lucas/Delphi training their comment was the life of one of their injection pumps is about a tablespoon of dirt. You could do that over twenty years, or twenty minutes. Your call.

I'd look at the manual and see if DD has a recommendation. If not maybe 1000 hrs might be a good time to have them checked, but they should last much longer than that. Or just go with, "If it ain't smokin' it ain't brokin'." Many people keep them running until there is an issue and I can't say they're wrong either.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    We get soot on the transom and in the cockpit areas over time. Was looking into mechanical issues and tune up but decided that's probably not the issue. Engines (8-92TI's) start with no smoke and run super clean. Zero visible exhaust on plane. Clean air filters, intercoolers, and good turbo's.

But we still get the soot buildup on the paint. If we go into a strong headwind it builds up quicker. Calm days or wind behind us much less. Also we get salt mist spray in the same areas more in head wind and less in tailwind.

So basically seems like a big station wagon effect compounded by the under gunnel air intake. Not sure if the amount of air drawn into ER is enough to be a factor. Also we have a full 4 sided enclosure with no openings ion the back other than ladder area.

Wondering if others experience the same. Most SF's have the ER vents on the side. Guessing responses will be limited.
    I get the same results on my 41. Especially with a strong headwind as you’ve described. I’ve always blamed it on the cockpit air intakes pulling exhaust back into the cockpit.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

My tanks and fuel are so clean I never see any hint of goop or water in the Racor bowls. In fact the seals started to leak since it had been so long since they were serviced other than filter changes. The guy they sent thought they had just be cleaned recently.

But I guess that has nothing to do with fuel quality. We buy from local municipal marina that does plenty of volume. What additives are good to use? of volume.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Have you run load numbers? What's your engine temps? Possibly overloaded?? I use the Opti-lube Summer because the volume to ratio is AMAZING and my fuel is pretty clean with all the injectors in my 12/71's rebuilt by RPM in the last year, so worth it to have the assurance there's no reliajunk injectors in my ER

I have cockpit intakes and had soot when I was overloaded, after the injectors were done and I was 100% there was nothing mechanical I was 250 star/400port overloaded that I fixed with prop service. Soot gone
    Last edited by ageless; 07-20-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Engines make full RPM's. Going to try the Stanadyne additive recommended by Avenger. Since everything else is presumed correct the fuel quality issue seems like a real possibility. There is a 35 Bertram SF charter boat out of the marina I fuel up at (they do too) that is has a very soot stained back half. It has Cummins 330 6BTA's and I never see any smoke from it on or off plane. In any case the fuel additive cant hurt. Tank is half full now so I'll put in enough to treat the full tank capacity and fill up. Then I ordered 16oz bottles that treat 65 gallons each so I can add as I refill easily. We will be running around locally all summer and this fall we run 100 miles south to Captiva. So that will put plenty of treated fuel through the engine first and then we shall see on the trip..
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Mr. Smith brings up an excellent point. We had the local Volvo dealer buying quite a bit of additive because after they did major tune-ups on some of those notorious smokers they'd still get a slight amount of transom sooting and the additive was the last piece of the puzzle. Fuel quality has a lot to do with combustion quality and injector life.

The fuel quality standard in the US is quite low and we're seeing reduced injector life because of it. In addition our customers are seeing improvements in fuel efficiency and cleaner exhaust when using additive.
    Curious, what additives were being used?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Curious, what additives were being used?
    In that case they were buying Stanadyne.

Alliant Power is a comparable product. There are other good additives out there, but those are the ones we recommend because those are the ones where we have first-hand experience.

Bottom line, no matter who's fuel you are buying you need to use an additive. If you're burning home heating oil you need a lot of additive.

1970 36C375

Don’t confuse fuel contamination with low quality. Doesn’t mater where you buy it it’s where it was refined. My son a combat pilot did 7 deployments in Afghanistan at Bagram AFB all the jet A and diesel we used there came from Russia. Their our enemies no? He used to say the jets smoked like crazy and the exhausts would coke up with carbon. Not exactly what you want for stealth operations
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present