Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Anyone have SF with under gunnel air intakes?

We get soot on the transom and in the cockpit areas over time. Was looking into mechanical issues and tune up but decided that's probably not the issue. Engines (8-92TI's) start with no smoke and run super clean. Zero visible exhaust on plane. Clean air filters, intercoolers, and good turbo's.

But we still get the soot buildup on the paint. If we go into a strong headwind it builds up quicker. Calm days or wind behind us much less. Also we get salt mist spray in the same areas more in head wind and less in tailwind.

So basically seems like a big station wagon effect compounded by the under gunnel air intake. Not sure if the amount of air drawn into ER is enough to be a factor. Also we have a full 4 sided enclosure with no openings ion the back other than ladder area.

Wondering if others experience the same. Most SF's have the ER vents on the side. Guessing responses will be limited.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Anyone have SF with under gunnel air intakes?

My 60 GT has the under gunnel vents and no vents along the outside of the hull. I have not had any issues, but the CAT C32 acerts don't smoke much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    We get soot on the transom and in the cockpit areas over time. Was looking into mechanical issues and tune up but decided that's probably not the issue. Engines (8-92TI's) start with no smoke and run super clean. Zero visible exhaust on plane. Clean air filters, intercoolers, and good turbo's.

But we still get the soot buildup on the paint. If we go into a strong headwind it builds up quicker. Calm days or wind behind us much less. Also we get salt mist spray in the same areas more in head wind and less in tailwind.

So basically seems like a big station wagon effect compounded by the under gunnel air intake. Not sure if the amount of air drawn into ER is enough to be a factor. Also we have a full 4 sided enclosure with no openings ion the back other than ladder area.

Wondering if others experience the same. Most SF's have the ER vents on the side. Guessing responses will be limited.
    I got some high hour Detroit 71's, and mine intake under the cockpit coaming as well. But, I've not experienced sooting around the transom.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Maybe Its just the 46 design. I wanted to dig into injectors and tuning and such but my mechanic questioned why on perfectly clean running engines. And he is not the kind of guy who would turn down work. I run kind of slow at 22 MPH when it can run 26-27 MPH all day long. Cruise at 1750-1800 RPM's. Maybe I should run them at 1900 to burn a little hotter and cruise faster. Strange since they run so clean by the eye.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Just to clarify when I say soot i mean stains in paint that wash right off with spray-9. Not actual heavy soot buildup.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

My 46 has under gunnel air intakes as well. I have had zero issues with soot on transom. I do get the mist at times depending on wind direction.
    Jason
    Orange Beach, AL
    1984 46C

Perhaps I do need to address this from a mechanical standpoint. Just seems odd with the exhaust so clean to the eye. Thanks for the responses. Answered my question.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post

I get the same results on my 41. Especially with a strong headwind as you’ve described. I’ve always blamed it on the cockpit air intakes pulling exhaust back into the cockpit.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

My tanks and fuel are so clean I never see any hint of goop or water in the Racor bowls. In fact the seals started to leak since it had been so long since they were serviced other than filter changes. The guy they sent thought they had just be cleaned recently.

But I guess that has nothing to do with fuel quality. We buy from local municipal marina that does plenty of volume. What additives are good to use? of volume.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Have you run load numbers? What's your engine temps? Possibly overloaded?? I use the Opti-lube Summer because the volume to ratio is AMAZING and my fuel is pretty clean with all the injectors in my 12/71's rebuilt by RPM in the last year, so worth it to have the assurance there's no reliajunk injectors in my ER

I have cockpit intakes and had soot when I was overloaded, after the injectors were done and I was 100% there was nothing mechanical I was 250 star/400port overloaded that I fixed with prop service. Soot gone
    Last edited by ageless; 07-20-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears