Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1966 34C Stringer Material

All, what are the longitudinal stringers constructed of on a 1966 Hatteras 34C?
    Thanks
    Ian

Re: 1966 34C Stringer Material

They are fiberglass over a foam core (non structural). The foam was only there to act as a mold to glass over. Mine have a heavy gauge aluminum cap on top of the glass stringer. I have owned our 66 34C for 29 years now. So if you need anymore info just post. Also many larger boat owners here on the forum started on 34's and 36's so much info here on the forum.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks for the info! Have a question on “station wagon effect”. Ours was repowered w 370HP Diesel Yanmars, after previous owners glassed over the gill intakes on the sides on a previous gas engine repower. Air intakes under the gunwales by the shore power outlets. We get some serious exhaust up on the fly bridge at cruise and the old carpet in the salon has soot in it. Tells me it’s starved for air as this is a definite HP upgrade from original.
    Any thoughts on your boats “station wagon effect” if any, stories you have heard, mitigating it, etc?
    Seen other posts on this but curious since you have the same boat.
    Thanks again
    Ian

The 34 has a closed bulkhead between the engine room and cockpit area. If modified they may have not opened up the bulkhead enough to allow airflow the engines need. Also there is very little room to get ventilation on the 34 behind the "under gunnel" panels. I would look at all this. Ours is powered by Cummins and while we get the salt mist there is no exhaust soot at all. I actually have a current thread going about the under gunnel air intake causing this on my 46 and it seems that is not the case. Is there a visible shade of gray in the exhaust on plane? That's all it takes to make a mess. Again I have the exact same boat with no exhaust fumes in the cockpit.
    Last edited by madhatter1; 07-20-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

if you have a swing door on the salon, open it just past being closed and run at speed, if it opens further you are starved for air
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

We used to use old styled barometric weather pressure gauges.
    Let it settle out side, then place it in the ER and run. Pull it out quickly and watch it rise.

I've been in boats that draw the hatch closed at speed. On others, you can near hear the rush of air when you force the hatch open.

On a GT, found the salt screens solid blocked of salt.
    Great Margarita Salt all around.