Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Please review and recommend repairs for hull/deck concerns, Thanks

I have had the stain at the rail issue before. It's not the screw it's the core stain. I cleaned the stain and made a rubber gasket to fit the base and no more stain.
    Good luck

Thanks for the responses, I have caulked the pulpit and plan to reseal the rail that was causing the rust spots. I will update with what I find when I remove the screws.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

You can remove the rust stain with toilet bowl cleaner. It will probably come back until the cause is addressed but it will look better in the mean time. On those divots you probably need to sand the old non skid off and use a fairing filler. I like Awlfair but its not cheap. You can mix your own using micro-balloons. When you're sanding off the old paint it will reveal if the cracks in the other pictures are in the paint or glass. If in the glass grind them out to past where they disappear. If just in the gelcoat then you can using epoxy fairing for that as well. If you are going to redo the entire deck you could probably remove the railing and re-bed while you are painting. That would keep you from having to cut in around it. My pulpit is missing caulk like yours. I temporarily sealed it with marine grade silicone as I am going to have to pull it to fix some rotten core this winter. I like using 3M 4000 caulk as it is UV resistant. I will either use that or glass the pulpit in when I re-do the core.

This guy here has some pretty good videos on glass repair, caulking, painting, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJd...4aRbf4g/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    #1. Stained deck at rail to deck area. This is the only place like this I have. It is right behind the fuel fill. I was thinking about removing screws, sealing with 5200, and cleaning up as best as possible?
    So over this last week I noticed that this came back after being cleaned up with no repairs as of yet. The boat has been under shed but the bow rail still can get a little rain on it if it blows. 1st question, Does water get in most rails and if so how is it supposed to get out?2nd, when I reseal do I seal around the screws or the screws and the whole base?With a big freeze coming I loosened the screws and pushed the rail to let out a good amount of water.My girl missing her lifetime home in Florida, but we are going to get her fixed up soon. Thanks
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I want to re-emphasize the above mentioned suggestion not to use 5200. I reserve it for things I will never, ever, want to take apart again.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I want to re-emphasize the above mentioned suggestion not to use 5200. I reserve it for things I will never, ever, want to take apart again.
    Heat. It comes apart if you can get it hot. But that is about the only thing that seems to work.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I am direct on not using 5200. What I don't understand is how to seal the base? Screws and around screws only or ? If you seal the whole base how does the water get out. I am Assuming I would be able to make the rail waterproof with all those unions and screws that hold the unions? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    I am direct on not using 5200. What I don't understand is how to seal the base? Screws and around screws only or ? If you seal the whole base how does the water get out. I am Assuming I would be able to make the rail waterproof with all those unions and screws that hold the unions? Thanks,
    Make that, I am assuming I would NOT get the rail waterproof.

You need to post a picture if it’s the stantion base you want it sealed so you don’t get rust stains from moisture underneath. And you definitely want the screws sealed. Any water that finds its way in the tube will eventually evaporate. Disregard the crybaby’s use 5200 it’s the only thing that really seals.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    You need to post a picture if it’s the stantion base you want it sealed so you don’t get rust stains from moisture underneath. And you definitely want the screws sealed. Any water that finds its way in the tube will eventually evaporate. Disregard the crybaby’s use 5200 it’s the only thing that really seals.
    Last stantion base going AFT on the Port side, there is another one that is not near as bad on the Starboard side, not exactly sure of it's position.
    Attached Images