Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Please review and recommend repairs for hull/deck concerns, Thanks

#1. Stained deck at rail to deck area. This is the only place like this I have. It is right behind the fuel fill. I was thinking about removing screws, sealing with 5200, and cleaning up as best as possible?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 07-18-2021 at 10:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Please review and recommend repairs for hull/deck concerns, Thanks

#2 Pulpit to deck is unsealed. Should I seal around the base to deck all the way around and with what?
    Attached Images
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Unusual on a hatt... looks like what you see on a Taiwan boat... the stanchion is rusting from the inside. Did someone repaired this with sun standard SS? Only way is indeed to lift it, clean and seal
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

#3 Old deck exposed repair/filled spots. How should these addressed until the next non skid painting?
    Attached Images

4. Unused tie down mount for old life raft mount on bow. Remove screws and reseal with 5200? Long term I will decide if the mounts will be utilized or removed on the next non skid.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 07-18-2021 at 10:24 PM.

#5 Crack with discoloring. How should I repair/seal until next non-skid paint. I have only found one of these.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Unusual on a hatt... looks like what you see on a Taiwan boat... the stanchion is rusting from the inside. Did someone repaired this with sun standard SS? Only way is indeed to lift it, clean and seal
    That would make sense since this is the lowest and last Stanchion. I will take a look for a repaired section. Thanks.

Pull and replace with new 316 SS but not with 5200. Use 4200. Urethane caulk around section 2. Number three looks like screwheads are popping. I would dig those out and patch with appropriate patching material like 4200. The craze cracking can easily be filled with the next coat of paint it doesn’t look that bad to me.But since they’re just photos I would consult a boat yard just to make sure.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Urethane caulk around section 2.
    I too need to address a few areas around my pulpit that are missing caulk. Is there a preferred or specific Urethane Caulk that should be used?

#1, I think that this is from the sealant failing under the stanchion, remove the screws carefully, as they might have an aluminum plate underneath. Clean and reseal . I use Lifecaulk polysulfide .
    #4a , the core is probably wet under the screws, as soon as you remove one , this will be apparent if so . Drill the screw holes out and fill with thickened epoxy. I have heard that most sealants last about 9-10 years at most , and fittings should be re-bedded before this .
    Also referencing #s 3a,b,c, and 5a , I have this too , and I don’t have a clue what caused it.
    Last edited by jmooney; 07-19-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL