Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Anyone been to Southport NC?

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    You will enjoy Southport. I don’t think the City of Southport Marina is a viable option. Unless something has changed there are no good slips and they are/were in the back of the basin where depth would be an issue for you. I would stay at Southport Marina. I assume they are back up after the damage from last years Tropical Storm. As someone else said Bald Head is a unique stop. Dining will be better in Southport than Bald head. There are atleast 3 restaurants by the water. Provision is a good lunch stop. Live Oak Cafe (in town) was very good, have not been there in a couple of years. If you are staying a couple of days bald head and a golf cart could be a lot of fun. What do you think about running outside from Little River to Cape Fear.? If you are going to hit the ICW at low tide and the weather is decent run outside. AquaMap premium (??) is a great resource that can run on a phone or IPAD. Premium will give you the Corp of Engineer’s survey of Lockwood Folly and Shalotte. AquaMaps also has the active captain comments and it appears from recent comments that Lockwood and Shalotte have been recently dredged and in decent shape. I could spend a long weekend between Southport and Bald head and not be bored.
    No problem running outside if the sea's are 2' or less. Anything over that and not following seas, the Admiral gets uncomfortable and you know what they say about a happy wife. I have done the Little River inlet several times without issue so thought I would run up or back outside depending on seas and tides just to break the trip up. I get tired of idling thru the ICW with all the boat docks and frequently get yelled at even at idle. Go figure.

Anyway, will call Southport Marina and see what I can get for the night. I had heard the city marina was still in bad shape. That's a shame. Thanks everyone for the help and advice. Will advise on what I find after the trip.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote Originally Posted by iraywest View Post
    NI get tired of idling thru the ICW with all the boat docks and frequently get yelled at even at idle. Go figure.
    A grumpy old codger (look who's talk'n) used to come out on his back porch and blow his aerosol horn when I idled by. A few years back, I upgraded to a 150 max psi and auxiliary bridge tank that gives at least 40 seconds w/o loss of tone. Haven't seen that guy lately.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Left the city marina at Charleston this morning, and this was a logical place to stop. They close at 5, so I’m on my own. I’ll see what I can find in terms of restaurants etc. and report back.
    Attached Images
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Had dinner at The Frying Pan, and it was awesome!
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I second Southport Marina. Check out Trying Not To Sink (Looking Glass on here)'s youtube channel. They do a fuel stop in Southport, and show the dock well. While we were boatshopping, we went and looked at a boat in Southport pre-hurricane. The entire marina has been rebuilt and looks pretty good. I recommend FishyFishy (pet friendly outdoor dining) and walking distance.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Thanks for all the advice guys. We stayed in Southport the night of the 24th at the Southport Marina. Great folks there and great service. Little tight getting in but very doable. I could see what you guys meant about the city docks. Not very good shape at all. Fishy Fishy was packed but we got drinks at the bar and hors d'oeuvres. Very good and nice view of the city marina. Moore Street Oyster Bar was excellent as well. Have to say we would go back there again.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC