Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone been to Southport NC?

Planning a overnight trip the 24th and was planning on going back to Georgetown but the Admiral suggested going north instead. From North Myrtle Beach at the Grand Dunes Marina where we are, Southport would be a very similar trip so I'm open to the idea but wanted to get some advice from folks who have been there.

1. Any issues with depth? I draw 5'2" and the dredged channel appears pretty narrow on Navionics from Little River to Southport especially around Lockwoods Folly Inlet. Any advice on navigating is appreciated.

2. Any suggestions on marinas just for overnight? Appears the City of Southport Dock and Southport Marina are the choices. Will need 50 amp.

3. Recommended restaurants and bars. The crowd will want some food and drink of course. Nothing fancy.

Thanks in advance for the advice,
    Ray
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Anyone been to Southport NC?

I’ve passed through there a few times but never stopped. I’m actually sitting at Wrightsville Beach as I type waiting on the 1PM bridge opening. This is a good spot to hang out a bit. Bridge Tender Marina has a couple of restaurants onsite that are good. Several other marinas/restaurants/bars here too.

Was going to stay at Grand Dunes this evening, but apparently they don’t have the ability to accept a credit card for such things unless you present it in person from 9-5.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Yeah, been in Grand Dunes for a year and a half now and they are pretty good but do close up at 5. Barefoot is just north of that but not sure what their hours are.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC

I stopped at Southport marina a couple of times with a 70 footer I used to run a few years back. Well... more like 10 years or so Very nice old little town worth spending a day or two. Marina was fine, I don’t recall having any issue connecting two 120-240-50

I vaguely recall the entrance to the marina being a little narrow but no big deal with the 70 and 6+ draft

That section of the ICW has quite a few tricky spots like Lockwood, Shallotte as well as the area north of Southport into Snows Cut. As it s been a while, I can’t provide any info but do your homework and if possible play the tides
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Nice little town several waterside restaurants , The Provision Co, Fishy Fishy , Olivers and one other . Quite a lot of history and walkable .

Ray,

Last time through was last year. Because all the inlets are so close to the ICW, you really have to be careful and not get set over when the tide's running. That could mean letting slower boats get through ahead so you can keep good steerage. Wind plus tide can really crab you into a bad spot. Little River, isn't bad, but the other inlets are common places for slow deep draft boats (sail) to hang-up.

Southport Marina is a great stop. You enter with as close to 90 degrees as possible from the ICW aiming for the dock office. Bald Head Island is another pretty good stop. The run in there can be sporty, but you can just about plane all the way in--if you can plane that is.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by iraywest View Post
    Yeah, been in Grand Dunes for a year and a half now and they are pretty good but do close up at 5. Barefoot is just north of that but not sure what their hours are.
    I come in/leave before/after hours about 90% of the time and never an issue, except for them. Barefoot was full, so we’re staying at the yacht club.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Oh yeah, it got REAL skinny in a few spots south of there, but pretty much low tide. Had less than 6” under the keel. 53MY.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

You will enjoy Southport. I don’t think the City of Southport Marina is a viable option. Unless something has changed there are no good slips and they are/were in the back of the basin where depth would be an issue for you. I would stay at Southport Marina. I assume they are back up after the damage from last years Tropical Storm. As someone else said Bald Head is a unique stop. Dining will be better in Southport than Bald head. There are atleast 3 restaurants by the water. Provision is a good lunch stop. Live Oak Cafe (in town) was very good, have not been there in a couple of years. If you are staying a couple of days bald head and a golf cart could be a lot of fun. What do you think about running outside from Little River to Cape Fear.? If you are going to hit the ICW at low tide and the weather is decent run outside. AquaMap premium (??) is a great resource that can run on a phone or IPAD. Premium will give you the Corp of Engineer’s survey of Lockwood Folly and Shalotte. AquaMaps also has the active captain comments and it appears from recent comments that Lockwood and Shalotte have been recently dredged and in decent shape. I could spend a long weekend between Southport and Bald head and not be bored.
    Last edited by motoryacht lover; 07-12-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Had the boat there for a few months a few years ago. This dampens the mood.
    https://www.wect.com/2021/06/15/fede...-after-isaias/
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750