Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fiberglass repair in NJ

Last fall, during a northeaster, and this winter, during the February Blizzard, my boat sustained fiberglass damage at the hull to deck joint at the starboard bow and the port midship. The pilings also took off sections of my rub rail. The boat was stored in the water for the winter.

I had a team of professionals from Cavileer Boat Works come up to my marina to repair the damage. They brought all of their own equipment to do the work and completed the work with very good results.

A few people at my club were up in arms about this work being done (even though it was before the beginning of the season) because they feel that it is against the law and they were being subjected to chemicals that can cause cancer.

Does anyone know of any statutes or regulations, Federal or State, that would prohibit industry professionals from doing this work while the boat is in the water?

Also, if I had to move the boat this spring to bring it to a place to have the work done at a "yard", could I have done additional damage to the boat because the nearest place is a number of miles away and includes some ocean crossing. Is it best to repair in the water so that there is no additional stress put on the hull to deck joint?

If you have any information, I would be very grateful as there are now a few people that are making a big deal about this work that weren't even there while the work was going on.

Larry K.
    1980 60' Sportfish
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Re: Fiberglass repair in NJ

I'd let you repair it next to me. I might get a little upset if you didn't clean up your mess, but other than that what's the problem? I think the best thing to do is just to say that you are not aware of any regulations and have them call the guys who did the work if they still have a problem. You might also tell them that it is over and done with and you won't do it again (unless, of course, you think you might). What a bunch of whiners!!!!
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Fiberglass repair in NJ

I contacted the EPA about another issue. Their answer would fit your situation. as far as getting stuff in the water, you are supose to put a boom around the boat and use a pool net to skim anything that gets into the water. as far as airborn stuff, there is no regulation for that, they will only come out and check if someone complains.

should not breath in the dust of grinding and sanding, vapor from new work should have been minimal. if they used epoxy then there would have been no vapor.