Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone know the 58 YF "Gus"? Nicest I've seen at least in pictures.

Just did stabilizers on a 53MY, Naiad for about $70,000 complete. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post
    Spot on! And unfortunately no stabilizers. It would have to be brutal in the wrong seas I would think. But what do I know? Practically nothing. Please chime in. I did have an old caption tell me once the Hatteras will roll the lard out of a biscuit...is this true? Does it need stabilizers, and if so what would be an approximate guestimate? I guessed 175 to 225k, and friend said that might take care of one side lol.If current year prices are like everything else, might be so.
    Years ago I was I was making my spring run Palm Beach to Cape May. First leg I’d run to St Augustine outside. Just past Canaveral I came up on a 58YF. It was a typical Florida afternoon with an onshore breeze out of the east supplying the building thunderstorms on land. Maybe 3’-4’ on the beam at worst. Guy calls me and asks if he can fall behind me. I pull back to 16kts so he can keep up. I’m looking back watching this thing roll wondering if this thing is going to turn turtle. I’ve always wondered if the 58 rolled more than the 53 due to the length width ratio.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I’ve always wondered if the 58 rolled more than the 53 due to the length width ratio.
    Does it? My 53' wallows pretty good in the right (wrong) conditions.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Is a gyro system less expensive than fins ?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Is a gyro system less expensive than fins ?
    Where would you put it? There is almost no place on centerline with existing tanks and hallway, etc.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Where would you put it? There is almost no place on centerline with existing tanks and hallway, etc.
    On my 53 the aft water tank takes up the forward half of the centerline queen. The aft half would be, I think, large enough.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

On my 58YF under the cockpit there is a water tank forward and a fuel tank aft, so Sky is pretty much right.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

I appreciate all of the input, so for those that have fins, how much does it help alleviate the roll? I know it is impossible to eliminate all roll, but just how much would it help in the situation mentioned where the 58 fell in line with the lead boat?

GTW here is the listing, not sure why it is not on YW yet.

https://www.galatiyachts.com/yachts/...-fish/58/lq02/

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Years ago I was I was making my spring run Palm Beach to Cape May. First leg I’d run to St Augustine outside. Just past Canaveral I came up on a 58YF. It was a typical Florida afternoon with an onshore breeze out of the east supplying the building thunderstorms on land. Maybe 3’-4’ on the beam at worst. Guy calls me and asks if he can fall behind me. I pull back to 16kts so he can keep up. I’m looking back watching this thing roll wondering if this thing is going to turn turtle. I’ve always wondered if the 58 rolled more than the 53 due to the length width ratio.

Ok,what about a 53 yachtfish vs 53 sport fish roll rate?