Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. what surpises can I expect replacing my start button

So the start push button on the port engine has gone bad....Have ordered a new one from Sam's that will come in this week but it will require me pulling the instrument panel on the aft deck.(there is no fly bridge) Is there any tricks or tips I should be aware of ahead of time? (the old button doesn't pop back up and I did get the engine to start by opening the panel inside the saloon to get to the underside and running a wire between the two lugs that proved the button is defective)
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: what surpises can I expect replacing my start button

I am presuming this is the brass cylinder type and has a red button at the end?

This should be simple to resolve. Turn engine battery switch off. Remove old switch and wire in the new. Turn battery switch on and start engine.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I had a start button that was not making contact. After getting replacements for both and starting the job i found out i was able to repair them with contact cleaner and a light spray of WD 40. Still going strong. They are a simple design and well made. As long as you can get your hand and a pair or pliers on the backing nut it will change out easily.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I had a start button that was not making contact. After getting replacements for both and starting the job i found out i was able to repair them with contact cleaner and a light spray of WD 40. Still going strong. They are a simple design and well made. As long as you can get your hand and a pair or pliers on the backing nut it will change out easily.

Walt Hoover
    I did pretty much the same thing. I sprayed penetrating oil into the button. You have to take it out to do that properly so if you have the replacement on hand you might as well change it out. You could keep the old one as a spare. Im not sure if they are 100% exact but the toilets and anchor windlass on my boat as well as the horns use this type of switch. Amps and volts would need to be verified as well as normally open/closed etc but its possible the old one could be used as a spare for other things in an emergency.

Hope you specified the beerproof model this time...
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

6. Re: what surpises can I expect replacing my start button

Well, tried to pull the instrument panel up from the aft deck to replace the starter button, of course it wouldn't come up high enough so I had to attack it from the saloon. Luckily the wife and myself got it installed in 30 mins. Plus the engine now fires up. ( I had tried the spray before the original post..
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

You’re a telephone man just twist the wires together
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

8. Re: what surpises can I expect replacing my start button

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    You’re a telephone man just twist the wires together
    RETIRED telephone repairman..... Now I want to do things properly.... But you were correct when I did work there
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com