Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Lift QLRN1000 #1,000 Davit Behavior

Anyone experienced similar? Launched #800 tender per usual procedure. When I retrieved the tender, the davit operated normally with one exception. Immediately upon stopping the hoist, the cable began to slowly pay back out. This repeated during the entire hoist and inboard swing—sure made the evolution exciting. My thinking is I may have rolled a piston seal in the hoist cylinder. No fluid leaks, and the uncommanded payout is slow motion as in commanded speed. Kinda acts like a blown internal seal. I was so glad to the tender aboard and beat Claudette, I forgot to check the controller for a stuck button or pin damage before departing. But it did lift and swing outboard a few hours earlier. Anyone experienced this behavior?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Quick Lift QLRN1000 #1,000 Davit Behavior

If it was slow it doesn’t seem to be a stuck button plus you d have heard the pump running.

Give them a call tomorrow, they re VERY good with customer support
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I heard quick lift is out of business, any truth to that?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    I heard quick lift is out of business, any truth to that?
    Website says open for parts and service. I’ll be out of pocket for the week which why I’m consulting the Hatternet first. Can’t hear the motor because it’s in ER and I’m on foredeck opposite side and I’m pretty much deaf most of the time.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Not sure. A couple of months I talked to one of the brothers who runs the chock business and he said they were not building many Davits these days. It seems they were still around. It would be a shame if they went away as their Davits were really nice and with top service compared to the big companies
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had a similar issue 2 years ago while trying to lift a 14' Scout center console that was close to the max weight. Long story short I had just replaced the cable with 75' of 5/16 stainless. Found out that every layer built up around the spool reduces the lifting power because of the leverage which was really evident when I had about 10 wraps from my 75' cable. I reduced the length to just what was needed and that solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    I had a similar issue 2 years ago while trying to lift a 14' Scout center console that was close to the max weight. Long story short I had just replaced the cable with 75' of 5/16 stainless. Found out that every layer built up around the spool reduces the lifting power because of the leverage which was really evident when I had about 10 wraps from my 75' cable. I reduced the length to just what was needed and that solved the problem.
    I m pretty sure none of the QuickLifts use spoil / drum winches but racks with a ram
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That is correct.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC