Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Alternator wiring diagram

Does anyone have an alternator wiring diagram for 3412 Caterpillars?

Thank you!
    Bill
    Bill

1997 74' CPMY Sport Deck
    Cat 3412 engines

Re: Alternator wiring diagram

Schematic for the alternator? Delco, Paris-Rhone or Leece-Neville (Prestolite)?
    Harness schematic may come from Cat, Ships I/O from Hatteras support.

What problems are you having?
    There are some fuses in the power box that may effect alternator operation.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-18-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Captain Ralph,

Thank you for your reply! They are Delco alternators, but wired differently on each engine. I’ve attached pictures. Where do these other wires lead to? Trying to make sure they’re wired as they should be.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill

1997 74' CPMY Sport Deck
    Cat 3412 engines

If I could get a pic of the back cover, it would help. Guessing so far, Looks like a Delco 30SI.
    Should have a positive post on one side, a negative lead on the other. An isolated ground unit.
    The usually self exciting voltage regulator may be in feedback or remote sense mode with those extra wires.
    Need a pic from the rear of these small wires also. Two flat blade connects are in that square hole. Usually tied together makes a self excited unit and charges to make the required output for a 24Vdc system.
    If battery isolators are used, that jumper is cut and one of the blade connects become a remote enable and feedback to help keep the correct charge output. There are other configurations but lets try to keep it simple for a 3412.
    I am assuming this is not a 3412E.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-18-2021 at 11:18 PM.