Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Rayline spotlight overheat

Hello,
    I have a vintage 'Rayline 1-Mile' spotlight on Mad Hatter. It's beautiful, and it works. Or, it did.
    The other day, after smelling electrical burning, I noticed the wires that feed into the back of the Rayline joystick (via a 9 wire plug) had started to over heat.
    I quickly turned the unit off and pulled the in-line fuse. (It didn't blow).
    After pulling the whole joystick assembly out of the dash, I was able to see that the wires had started to melt their coverings.
    The joystick itself, shows no sign of overheating or damage. ONLY the wires that feed into the 9 wire plug had melted.
    The pins all look good with no apparent wear, or corrosion and nothing loose. My first thought was that a bad or loose connection somewhere, but I think that would show somewhere.
    I did a check of the larger + and - wires, and I was getting full power.
    I also put in a smaller watt bulb to see if it would lessen the demand. Nothing changed. The wires still heat right up.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. I love this old lamp. It seems to be a defining piece on a Hatteras bridge.
    Thanks you all,
    John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

Re: Rayline spotlight overheat

I've been gradually struggling with mine, too. It matters what size your light is...and you didn't mention it in your post.

Apparently, the 8" light (like mine) is a 24v bulb. All the smaller size bulbs are 12v. All the switches, no matter what size light, are 12v. There's an extra red wire running up to the light and I assume that's to supply the 24v to the bulb. However, I haven't quite gotten to hooking it up and trying, yet.

Anyway, if you have a 24v light and a 12v switch (like I think I do) it would be easy to fry something....I think. Hell, I don't know - that's why I keep putting that project off.

You might just have a short at the light pulling too much?
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C