Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Power and temp remote monitoring

couple of weeks ago, the subzero double drawer freezer on the 84 decided to shut down for no reason. Of course it happened when the boat wasn’t used much and it took me about 4 days to discover the mess . Lost about $1000 worth of meat... reset the breaker and the freezer restarted just fine

I know there are some complex monitoring systems around but just installed the one below. Only $100 and easy set up. It monitors temperature (either ambient or refrigeration), power loss and water level. No subscription cost. We have a big chest freezer on the 116 which we don’t open very often so I m setting up the sensor in there

obviously you need an active internet connection that will stay up in case of a power failure, easy to use with a basic computer UPS on the modem and router.

Power Failure, Temperature,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y767HV6...p_mob_ap_share
    Last edited by Pascal; 06-18-2021 at 02:37 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Power and temp remote monitoring

Linkie no workie.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Linkie no workie.
    Fixie
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Downside of no power is no internet or monitoring when it will do any good. OK, it's not a monitoring trick that will tell you anything except you've had a thaw and a re-freeze, but after having to toss a freezer full strictly on suspicion AFTER we started to cook with meat from it, this trick might help at least clear your mind when you return. Take an ice cube out of a tray and set a washer/coin on it. If you come back and it is still on the cube, you're good. If the coin is frozen to, buried anywhere in the cube or lying on the freezer floor, you've had a thaw and re-freeze. Yeah, forgot to do that last winter and it was only the completely flat inside partially filled ice cream container that alerted us.
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    Downside of no power is no internet or monitoring when it will do any good. OK, it's not a monitoring trick that will tell you anything except you've had a thaw and a re-freeze, but after having to toss a freezer full strictly on suspicion AFTER we started to cook with meat from it, this trick might help at least clear your mind when you return. Take an ice cube out of a tray and set a washer/coin on it. If you come back and it is still on the cube, you're good. If the coin is frozen to, buried anywhere in the cube or lying on the freezer floor, you've had a thaw and re-freeze. Yeah, forgot to do that last winter and it was only the completely flat inside partially filled ice cream container that alerted us.
    I used that same truck but used a Tupperware container and placed a quarter on the top after it froze. Sure enough I found the quarter frozen within the ice block when I returned. Great trick.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Doesn’t save the food though... it a very painful to throw out 4 beef tenderloins, 15 lbs Argentinian churasco, 20 lbs of chicken etc.

You can get a computer battery back up for well under $100 and plug your router and cell modem in it. Problem solved. We had a short power outage on the dock this mornjng, not even a second. I was on my Hatt in the next slip but got an alert right away, followed by a power back on alert.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I use a Verizpn hotspot that's powered by a 12v USB port that runs off my inverter bank. It's been very reliable. Even runs my security cams. I like the idea of the power and temp monitor. I may have to get one of those.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"