Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

WANTED - Pair of Caterpillar 3208s with gears.

While still not a Hatteras owner yet, I have just taken the plunge and purchased a 1972 Chris-Craft 47 Commander that requires a repower. The boat currently has the Cummins VT8-370Ms with the port engine leaking coolant into the crankcase due to perforated liners.
    The most reasonable and likely cost effective replacements are Caterpillar 3208TAs at 375hp with 2.51:1 reduction, though I would consider lower/higher HP and gear reduction ratios down to 2.0:1.
    Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks!

ad_1623456622619.jpg
    Last edited by warrenw; 06-16-2021 at 11:18 PM. Reason: clearer title
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

Re: WANTED - Pair of Caterpillar 3208s with gears.

Try T&S Marine Engines in Crisfield, MD. Ask for Tim Tyler or Steve. They rebuild these all the time, they've done dozens if not hundreds of them, and they know what they are doing. They also ship all over.

Those must have been popular in 1972. I once looked at a 53 Hatteras with the Cummins VT8-370Ms. And you guessed it, it was a 1972
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Try T&S Marine Engines in Crisfield, MD. Ask for Tim Tyler or Steve. They rebuild these all the time, they've done dozens if not hundreds of them, and they know what they are doing. They also ship all over.
    Thanks for the lead Jim!
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)